Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fake Plates-eBay
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

creamcracker

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  17:18:29  Show Profile
Can anybody tell me if these plates have any commonality with genuine plates for N and P types. They certainly don't have any link to 14/28s, 14/40s or 18/80s.
I hate this type of mis-advertising.
Keith
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132872622117

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  18:23:56  Show Profile
Keith:

These plates are ready available for all MG T type's.
From the usual suspects.
Which these probably are.
Never seen them for the prewar cars.

The point about poor description/ misrepresentation is a slippery one.
You can of course report to Ebay.

All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  20:10:08  Show Profile
Keith,

N and P types had Guarantee Plates with wording similar to the TC one illustrated. The original plates were engraved/etched, are these new ones produced in a similar manor?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  20:40:47  Show Profile
Peter, I may be wrong, but it looks like these repro plates are screen printed, so hopefully nobody would think they are like the originals. As for reporting the matter to EBay, they would not be interested. I'm afraid as in all this type of "fake products/descriptions", it a case of 'caveat emptor'.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2163 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  00:41:57  Show Profile
Keith
I don’t know where these plates come from but reading the description, I suspect that the Seller is actually doing anything wrong. The seller is not claiming they are genuine, they are not offering a makers guarantee and, there is no trade mark infringement.

Rich

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  08:35:46  Show Profile
Co-incidentally, I was recently looking for a repro chassis plate for an AH Sprite that I am also playing with, as the original is badly corroded. One company offering a fully engraved plate, to original factory standards, requires to see the V5, saying that this is a DVLA requirement. Another company will engrave with any data, no entitlement needed. Repro blank chassis plates are readily available to anyone for almost any vehicle. It seems to be an MOT requirement to have a VIN plate, but it is very easy to fake it. On our MGs, the chassis stamping is probably a more reliable indicator of authenticity, but from the 1960s the riveted-on plate is often the only identifier. Modern cars are rather more difficult to fake, of course.
Regards,
David
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  08:56:18  Show Profile
David and Richard,
I readily accept that repro plates are freely available these days, but my concern was that the seller is implying that these particular plates were suitable for the 'early M.Gs', which of course they are not. I cannot speak for the later MMM cars, that is why I asked the question.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2163 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  11:26:02  Show Profile
There are wide margins on acceptability as to whether something is suitable or not. You only have to look at questionable standards of mmm parts reproduction in the past.

It is up to the purchaser to decide if the part is suitable or not. I guess it is no different to using aftersales parts on modern cars. They are gerally deemed suitable but may not all be to exact pattern / specification. Between suppliers, different options can sometimes be offered to then be able to manage customer expectations.

Richard

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000