Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 July UK visit
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Libbert

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2019 :  23:40:35  Show Profile
My wife (Robin) and I are going to be in the UK this July from the 3rd to the 22nd and are planning to attend the MMM Summer Gathering at Peter Green home on the 7th and Pre-War Prescott on the weekend of the 19th thru the 21st.

The time (eleven days) between these two events are currently open but we would like to visit the Abingdon, Oxford and Bath areas, possibly staying a couple nights in one place doing some visiting/sight seeing within a short driving distance before moving on to another location and repeating the visiting/sight seeing thing again. We would prefer to stay in a B&B in smaller villages if possible. If time allows maybe even go to Scotland for a couple days.

We would appreciate any suggestions of sites to see at the three locations stated above and other locations stay for a day or two between Oxford and Scotland before heading to the Bath area for a couple days prior to Pre-War Prescott.

As you can see in the photo, I won't have the J2 finished in time for this visit so we will be using a rental car.

Best regards,

John

PeterL

United Kingdom
1729 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2019 :  08:07:05  Show Profile
the Landmark Trust and National Trust and probably English Heritage have holiday accommodation. Maybe they are a bit pricier than normal places but they are usually not normal places! I think they are wonderful. Mr Google will find them for you.

Bath, Oxford and Abingdon all have lots to offer, Scotland in two days however is a bit of a challenge! Hope it all goes well.

P
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  08:31:10  Show Profile
John and Forum:

A few random thoughts before this one slips into the middle distance.

As a independent traveler time spent in research is seldom wasted.

Check websites for entrance details as times vary and big events/ Museums use a pre-booked and timed entrance system.

A point to bear in mind the Uk is the size of an average USA state with the population of 65 million-ish.
So a different mind set is required.
When possible I prefer to walk.

B and B and Air B and B ; local and economic.
I prefer farmhouse B and B.
Less of the how deep are there towels and the joys of there gold plated nose pickers.
Also when travel with classic car better parking for car.
Hope this helps.

John Bakewell

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3243 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  10:45:18  Show Profile
John - whilst you are in the Bath/Bristol area you may like to visit the SS Great Britain which has been wonderfully refurbished; there is also a new museum on the same site dedicated to Brunel. Another interesting Bristol attraction is a tour of the wine cellars.

If motoring museums are on your list then Heritage Museum at Gaydon is worth a visit, the venue is not too far from Oxford, and then of course the MG Car Club, Abingdon, may be on your to do list.

The National Trust have some superb historic properties, for example Waddesdon Manor which again is only a short distance from Oxford.

George
L2023

Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  12:18:08  Show Profile
John, you may want to purchase from Shelburne Films the 87 minute long DVD, "The Circuit of Britain 1990" A 12 minute free preview is available on their site and on You Tube,. That trip was 3 weeks long but covered most of Britain including Scotland (Lands End to John O Groats) Apparently you can get a copy of the route book as well. The film highlights MG sites we visited with 89 T types in 1990. My wife and I ran that trip but I have no financial connections to the Shelburne's who filmed the trip. It should at least give you a few tips.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  12:54:21  Show Profile
George has mentioned SS Great Britain; also worth a visit is the nearby M Shed industrial museum - and if aircraft are also your thing there's the new Aerospace Bristol museum in Filton on the north side of the city.

If visiting Bath, especially 'in season', I would strongly recommend using one of the Park & Ride services rather than driving into the centre. Long-term parking is very expensive. Buy an Inner Zone day ticket, which will enable you to hop on and off any FirstBus service within the city at no extra cost; a little more expensive than the ordinary P&R return, but will save on shoe leather! If you were planning on visiting Bath Abbey, it is currently under major renovation, but I think it should be complete by July. Wells Cathedral is nicer (and quieter) anyway!
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
661 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  17:39:33  Show Profile
And then there is Nuffield Place, home of Lord Nuffield. Huntercombe, near Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, RG9 5RY. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/nuffield-place

Not that far from Abingdon. And Henley-on Thames in the summer is busy but idyllic - river trips and two great pubs either side of the Bridge - The Little ('Little' added by local resident Dick Morbey) Angel, and the Angel on the Bridge!

We always call in there for lunch when arriving mid morning at Heathrow and driving to the Cotswolds.

As for the Cotswolds - where do you start?! And you will see an awful lot on the Pre-War Prescott Sunday tour around and overe the top of the Cotswold hills.

I'd say I envy you, but wer'e going to be there too! You will have a fabulous time. See you soon!

Edited by - DickMorbey on 02/02/2019 22:26:27
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3680 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  22:27:07  Show Profile
MGCC members (or potential members) are always welcome to visit Kimber House Abingdon by prior arrangement, too!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

John Libbert

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2019 :  16:00:53  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone who has replied to my request for info. Plans are coming along quite well and you have given us some very good advice and ideas. Scotland is out for this visit with more time being spent in the Oxford, Bath and Cheltenham areas.

We are really looking forward to meeting many of the MMM members at both the Summer Gathering and Pre-War Prescott. I'm also looking forward to meeting the Dutch group as my J2 was one of several J2s that were imported to Holland by JJ Molenaar as a new car in 1933. An article in the 2005 Yearbook by Wiard Krook has a small photo of what we believe is my car.

John Bakewell, I believe we met last June in Wisconsin at GOF Central. My MGA was the first place winner against some very good competition (Hey, there were two MGAs there) Will you be at the Summer Gathering?

Ian, many thanks again for the phone call and all your help and while I'm really looking forward to PWP it is at the end of our visit and will mean going back home on Tuesday. It will certainly be a great finale.

Best regards,

John
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2019 :  14:56:58  Show Profile
John, your garage, as with so many across the water in North America or Europe, makes me wonder if I shouldn't try harder with mine! My collection of redundant kitchen cabinets, jumble of odd sized shelves with half empty paint tins, assorted tools, plus old cardboard boxes from the greengrocer with more "stuff" stacked up, escaped garden tools and other impedimenta do make me rather ashamed, I have to say. Never mind, at least the floor is carpeted with our old bedroom carpet!
Enjoy your visit. Simon C.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000