Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Pre-War Shuttleworth 2019 - Sunday 9th June
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2019 :  16:11:58  Show Profile
MMM members are cordially invited by the Vintage Minor Register to slip the surly bonds of earth at Old Warden on Sunday 9th June.

After detailed discussions with Stuart Mackay who runs the De Havilland Moth Club, we will be joining the Moth Club at their Charity Flying Day at Old Warden on Sunday 9th June.

Moth flights will be available to all for £95 per person. Aircraft expected to take part include examples of DH.60 Moth, DH.82a Tiger Moth, DH.84 Dragon, DH.85 Leopard Moth and DH.87 Hornet Moth. Guest aeroplanes are also expected to include a Miles Magister, a Focke Wulf Stieglitz and a Miles Messenger, some of which will attract a premium fare. All the money raised will be donated to charity by the Moth Club. The pilots and aeroplanes are all volunteers offering their services free of charge.

As I am sure many of you will know very well, Old Warden is a unique and timeless place and the opportunity to lift off the warm grass on a summer's day to dance among the cumulus in a vintage aircraft from there is a rare delight indeed. NO entry fee other than paying the Shuttleworth Trust the regular entry at the gate, but I will need your name, address, e-mail address and car details in advance, to me at vintageminor@gmail.com Flying is optional, but why wouldn't you?! Bring a picnic or partake of the cafeteria fare. Special parking area for our cars. Museum open all day.

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2019 :  00:46:46  Show Profile
Interesting update. The Moth Club, who the Vintage Minor Register will be joining on the day wish to encourage young people to fly with them and so those between the ages of 13 and 18 will be able to get up in the air in a vintage aircraft for just TEN POUNDS.

These flights must be booked in advance no later than June 5th and the Moth Club advises contacting them directly to receive a booking form.

Young people who fly with the Club will also be offered the chance to take part in a short written competition for which the prize will be a formal flying lesson in a Tiger Moth at a suitably approved organisation.

There is no pre-booking for any other flights, all of which are offered on a first-come basis. These will cost £95 per person.

You can call the Moth Club on 01442/862077 or email them on dhmoth@dhmothclub.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2019 :  20:26:42  Show Profile
Good morning everyone, from a very soggy Seattle!

However, the weather forecast for Old Warden tomorrow is good, and while yesterday's flying had to be cancelled, we are ON for tomorrow when a fleet of vintage aircraft will descend upon the turf runway of the Shuttleworth Trust to offer joy rides in support of very good causes.

You are warmly invited to come along with your pre-war or modern car and enjoy the day alongside our friends of the De Havilland Moth Club. Their chairman Stuart Mackay puts in an incredible amount of effort to organize these charity flying days, so lets see if we can support him by fielding a really good vintage car display and helping him to raise funds.

Full details of the day can be found at http://www.vintageminor.co.uk/PWS%202019/Pre-War%20Shuttleworth%202019.html

If you do decide to attend, please just send me a quick e-mail (to vintageminor - at - gmail.com) with your car's details so I will know who and how many of us attended.

And also let me know if you get to slip the surly bonds of earth and dance the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  18:49:52  Show Profile
Felt a bit lonely in the P until company arrived. I did not see a single pre-war Morris.

The flying was good though:

Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2019 :  23:34:13  Show Profile
Hi Nigel,

A nice day for Tigering! Can't wait to get my finished. Morrises are notoriously difficult to coax from their garages, which is why I opened up the Vintage Minor Register to all pre-war cars a couple of years ago - a bit like the Bean Car Club. Pre-War Prescott would be a lonely place (not to mention brutally insolvent) if it were for Morrises only!

Who did you fly with?
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2019 :  01:08:21  Show Profile
Ian,
I am terrible with names, to the extent I number my grandchildren. I was there with #3 grandchild who also flew. The best I can do is let you know that I flew with whoever was piloting G-ASPV:

From my point of view he gave an excellent comprehensive and instructional experience.
Tiger driving impressions compared with MMM:
1) Instrumentation; well they seem self explanatory, see above.
2) Starting: MMM - electric. Tiger a brave assistant.
3) Idle: MMM can rattle a bit. Tiger: breezy.
4) Power A good MMM engine could produce more from 4 or 5 litres less but not at under 2000 rpm.
5) Cooling MMM, liquid. Tiger - air, it has a big direct drive fan at the front.
6) Gears MMM multi speed manual box. Tiger; direct drive to that big fan.
7) Brakes, MMM cable. Tiger; none.
8) Steering: MMM has a wheel and Ackerman geometry. Tiger: a stick and rudder which got me into a flap!
9) Acceleration MMM, leisurely unless you have a pre-selector and light flywheel. Tiger: impressive with no gears to change.
10) Cornering: MMM like on rails if your tyres are hard enough. Tiger: Can't get used to pushing the stick over, then back to the middle and it keeps turning until you cancel by pushing the stick out the opposite way.
11) Getting airborne. MMM on a bumpy road. Tiger; that stick again.
12) You don't have to concentrate on keeping a level horizon so much in an MMM.
13) Neither like flying upside down for long, the Tiger as it's fuel is gravity fed, though the engine would the be the "right way up" and the MMM because the wheels would be at the top.
14) General road holding; MMM good on smooth roads. Tiger; does not need roads to hold.

Overall; both give a stiff face from the big smiles.

Go to Top of Page

r.warr

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  17:05:33  Show Profile
Even though lonely it was still a good day.
Both Mr Williamson and myself had a very good day.
So good I got sunburn.

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  18:02:36  Show Profile
The Moth really needs one of these.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  23:59:56  Show Profile
Update:

Following advice from my technical team, I must report that some Tiger Moths are able to fly upside down for a limited time (20 seconds or so?) This is due to the fitment of a particular carburettor developed during the First World War when it was found during dog fights that flying upside down was a useful manoeuvre.

The modification of the carb involving a very large float chamber and suitable jet relationship gave the ability to sustain power for a limited time even though the gravity feed was cut off.

Looping was not so much the problem as G forces and limited inverted time helped mitigate any fuel starvation. Invertion by rolling which was helpful in spotting the enemy below was more problematic as the G forces are limited but the carb development allowed this tactic to be used without loss of power.

I understand however that such a manoeuvre in an open plane is disconcerting as one hangs upside down in the straps and however tight they are done up, one's bottom always leaves the seat.

I am happy to report that the only time my bottom left the seat was on exiting the Tiger.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000