Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Contact details for Peter Archer required.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  10:25:45  Show Profile
In 2015 Tom Metcalf (on the shores of Lake Erie) told this forum that he had met Peter Archer who is the Grandson of A W Archer who was navigator to W T Platt at the time of their Monte Carlo adventure in January 1933 in J3755. Tom passed on Ron Grant's email address to Peter, but it is not known whether he ever made contact with Ron as there is nothing relevant in the papers which came to Nev Churcher when Nev bought J3755 a couple of years ago. Nev would like to make contact with Peter now and I wonder whether any readers of this forum know of his whereabouts. The only information available is that Peter lives in the Abingdon area.

Any information anyone ?

Colin B.

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2019 :  10:28:55  Show Profile
Colin,

I know from conversations I had with Ron that he had been in touch with Peter Archer and got at least one photograph of the car from him. Not that this helps contact him of course.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 04/05/2019 10:30:37
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  10:31:02  Show Profile
Thanks Simon. A number of photographs of J3755 are now emerging and an important one is shown here. It is from an overseas magazine very probably from 1933. The caption reads "W T Platt (piloto) e A W Archer (navegador) em Folkestone, no MG J3 (J3755), durante o Rallye de Monte Carlo de 1933. Ganharum o Mont des Mules Hillclimb neste Monte." Does anyone recognise the language (doesn't appear to be Spanish) or better still, does anyone actually have a copy of the mag.

I also understand that Peter Archer is a friend of David Elliott who lives in the same town. As yet no town name has emerged but it could be Abingdon, or somewhere nearby. If anyone has immediate access to an Abingdon telephone directory, could they do a quick search.

Colin B.

Oh, rats. Image too large to download, so that idea is scuppered.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  11:14:11  Show Profile
Colin, Was this the picture, perhaps?

Nev Churcher believes it would have been taken at whichever UK port they sailed from, rather than at the Mont des Mules event, though ...

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 05/05/2019 11:15:27
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  11:19:35  Show Profile
Thanks Dick. That is the one. It was taken at Folkestone en route to France. Any idea what language (quoted in my earlier posting) happens to be ? Possibly Portuguese ? Could one of our Portuguese subscribers comment.

Colin N.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  11:22:33  Show Profile
According to Mr. Google, 'Portuguese detected'!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2019 :  11:50:38  Show Profile
This is a well known photo that featured in Wilson McComb’s book ‘The Story of the MG Sports Car’. The caption there confirms it was taken at Folkestone. As an aside, it’s the only contemporary photo I could ever find showing a production J Type with its hood erected and side screens in place.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  07:55:39  Show Profile
In passing can anyone determine which type of windscreen wiper driver was in use, vacuum or electric?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2019 :  08:32:47  Show Profile
The photo which Ron got from Peter Archer would seem to suggest that it was a suction one although how well that would have worked with the supercharger is another matter altogether.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000