Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 j2 petrol tap
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roger

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  15:42:04  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a supplier of the cork seal for the original petrol reserve/main tap? Or is there an altrnative?

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  00:23:12  Show Profile
I have a couple of alternatives for you. Cark can dry out, but it is easy enough to make your own by using a core drill 1/2" in diameter then slice the resulting core on an angle with an x-acto knife and drilling about a 1/8" hole down the center. The shaft is square, but a smaller round hole will give you a nice tight fit.

The second option is to purchase a 1/2" diamerter rod of teflon. The, on a latch, drill the center hole and again slice at the proper angle. You will need to square up the hole since teflon is much harder than cork, but that I do with a 3/16" square tube which has been sharpened on one end. Drive the tube through the hole to square up the center hole.

Easy to do and the teflon alternatives stops the inevitable drying up and subsequent loss of vacuum.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2008 :  13:27:40  Show Profile
I bought some of the cork seals and found that they did not seal! In desperation I wound some PTFE plumbers tape around the cork. This has given a good seal and still works today some 4 years later!
Iknow it is a bodge but it works for me and only takes a minute and no tools to effect the repair!

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  11:56:22  Show Profile
Someone produced a drawing of a brass valve incorporating an o-ring as a sealer. I had some of these made and have one on my F2 replica.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  17:08:28  Show Profile
Does anyone have a diagram or exploded view picture of the fuel changeover tap as used on the PA? If so is there any chance you could post it onto this site?

Also, does anyone know who might be able to supply bits for these taps - maybe the person who makes them up for BW- whoever that may be ?!

Thanks

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  18:40:20  Show Profile
Sure, here you go

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  19:40:44  Show Profile
Dick,

This is another view of the petrol tap with the inside removed.

Fred..

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  20:21:22  Show Profile
Thank you, Lew and Fred,

I posted the enquiry as I heard today from Keith Leaver that he needs to replace the brass disk, as his has broken. Does anyone happen to have one lying around?

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Jon Marsh

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  08:53:23  Show Profile
My J2 tap siezed up, the cork was rotton. I cleaned it up as best I could as nobody seemed to have a supply of replacement corks. Can someone remind me which pipe is the reserve and which is the main as when I put it together I got in a muddle with the tap and the indicator and lever! All pretty pathetic I realise.

Never mind, been having some lovely runs out in the car recently, the sun is out now so I may have a spin today.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  16:10:23  Show Profile
Some more info about petrol-tap and cork.
If a lathe is used, it's not difficult to give a bar of teflon the correct diameter, and drill the centre. It then takes some patience, to file the centre-drilling to a square hole. Cut the bar to the needed angle, and replace the cork.

Edited by - Gerhard Maier on 15/03/2009 17:39:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000