Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Oiler tool Large and small 1934PA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MGAlex

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2019 :  14:29:44  Show Profile
I am helping a friend with 1934 MG PA and hope to one day become the caretaker of the vehicle for my lifetime....

Can anyone let me know what the original "Oiler Gun" Looks like to oil the nipples in the engine bay of the car. I know that you should NOT put grease in those particular nipples but 140 weight oil. (please please correct me if I am wrong and suggest the right oil). Can I just use a "push type" oil gun for this procedure?

I would also like to know what everyone is using for oil in the engine and gearbox (redline for instance?) + additives you might use for zinc?

I am only 26 but have fierce passion for MGs and would love to absorb knowledge from other enthusiastic owners. These cars are meant to be driven and shared!

Alex N
1934 MG PA
1971 MG B

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2019 :  14:56:27  Show Profile
Hi Alex. Welcome and I hope you achieve your ambition one day to be the "caretaker"! You may have seen the recent long thread about younger people's enthusiasm for our cars.

You're absolutely right about using 140 oil not grease in those nipples and you will find getting a modern gun to lock onto them is a problem (I use a Wanner which I regard as the Rolls Royce of grease guns and it can take oil or grease so I have one for each). I'm assuming this car has the original nipples which I liken to the gun turrets on the Maginot Line! Sports & Vintage here in UK, whom you will get to know well, do complete replacements using modern nipples and my advice would be to get the current custodian to fit them.

As to engine oil, I use Morris Golden Film 20/50 available here in UK which I have always been happy with; others will have their own favourites. The important thing is to ensure whatever you use has adequate ZDDP in it. Others will put a figure on "adequate" for you but modern oils have little of none as catalysts don't like it. Without it you risk rapid cam & cam follower wear.

In the gearbox and back axle I'm a bit of a Luddite and use 140 weight for both of them, but others will vote for Redline and I'm sure once you have their recommendations you'll have no problem with it.

While mentioning the back axle, general advice is only to fill it to halfway on the dip stick as this is adequate and reduces the risk of leaks onto the rear brakes.

Good luck and enjoy a beautiful car,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3679 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2019 :  20:10:31  Show Profile
Hello Alex and a warm welcome to the Triple-M Register and this Forum in particular. I have sent you an off-line e-mail in order to establish a connection and hopefully assist oyu and share info.

Your contact is very timely especially as there is a current thread about how to encourage the next generation to get involved in our cars. I was 28 when I bought a 1/3 share in the rather derelict 2 seater PA back in 1974 - I hope I won't put you off if I say that it took me another 27 years to get the car restored and complete. In fact without the encouragement and support of those who have become firm Triple-M friends that car would probably still be in bits!

Bon courage!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3108 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2019 :  15:30:43  Show Profile
May I clarify this please?

This is an image from the manual.

Is this (below) the oil gun or the grease gun?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 15/06/2019 15:31:24
Go to Top of Page

MGAlex

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  14:20:26  Show Profile
That’s exactly the kind of picture I was looking for. That really looks like an old Alemite tool in the picture. Or maybe a cousin of it but the design is so similar.

Alex N
1934 MG PA
1971 MG B
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3108 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  15:29:16  Show Profile
But which is the oil gun?

Alex is the brand name you are thinking of possibly 'Tecalemit' ?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 16/06/2019 15:30:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000