Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Magic Midget cigarette lighter
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3379 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  17:50:39  Show Profile
I have been asked by my niece about a cigarette lighter found when they cleared out their father's possessions. It is chrome plated all over but without a maker's name. Presumably they were commemorative / advertising items. Were they "official" items?

Nick

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  19:13:57  Show Profile
These are shown in Michael Ellman-Brown's MG Collectables on page 151. it says: -

"The wonderful Magic Midget lighter of the early thirties was produced in silver, pewter and chrome on brass versions, and there was also a further chrome derivative without the lighter mechanism. In the group of three are a hallmarked silver lighter (foreground) that is also marked Asprey, together with a chromed lighter and non-lighter version stamped S&M (perhaps the maker's mark) in linked circles. The pewter lighter, made by Enturn Pewter, is seen converted into a trophy with two plaques. The upper plaque reads 'Lancashire Automobile Club - winner - J. Lucy' the lower one reads 'Blackpool Motor Rally -awarded to- MG Car Club - for best performance'. The text refers to pictures in the book.

So it looks as though they were 'official' items and I wonder if anyone can shed light on the memorial plaques.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 16/06/2019 19:15:05
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  22:55:07  Show Profile
There was also one on Kimber's desk in his office at Abingdon. See page 85 in " The Art of Abingdon".

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2014 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  23:37:14  Show Profile

Has anyone got one they wish to sell ?

Thank you,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3107 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  00:04:39  Show Profile
This alternative MG M-type lighter has just sold on eBay.

As a two seater it is much more practical.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
672 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  00:29:46  Show Profile
But how's this for a car park

(Not mine, found online unfortunately)
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  09:49:44  Show Profile
I think that the "non original" windscreen of the M Type would reduce it's re-sale value very considerably !!!

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000