Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Exhaust system for early J1
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PCAP

Belgium
7 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2019 :  19:13:14  Show Profile
Hello,

I am looking for a supplier for a new exhaust system for a 1932 MG J1.
I found one name under the suppliers' list but they are out of business, apparently.

Is that available of the shelf or do we need to recreate from scratch?

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2019 :  19:49:47  Show Profile
A J2 one should fit Pedro, it is all down to the silencer fitting in the recess in your under tray.
I have seen early J2 drawings with a very long thin silencer and no recess. It would be interesting to hear the options, would it not!

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2019 :  20:26:11  Show Profile
Pedro,
Sports & Vintage should be able to supply you with a front pipe, a silencer, and a rear pipe. The two pipes will need adjusted in length as they are designed to suit both the J1 and the J2. The difference is that the J1 silencer sits forward into the recess in the undertray so that there is room behind the silencer for the footwell for the rear passengers. The silencer itself is bolted to the chassis by 'L' shaped brackets giving a very rigid assembly. I fitted a short length of flexible pipe between the front pipe and the silencer to ensure that there was no strain on the exhaust manifold.

This photo (courtesy of Ashley Hay), although of an F Type rather than a J1, shows clearly why the silencer needs to be mounted well forward in order to leave room for the rear passenger footwell.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 22/06/2019 20:46:58
Go to Top of Page

PCAP

Belgium
7 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  17:23:49  Show Profile
Thank you for the information, I will contact Sports & Vintage.

Much appreciated.

Best regards,
Pedro Cappelle

MG J1, 1932, #J0288
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  19:23:39  Show Profile
Pedro,

There is a school of thought that the 'L' shaped brackets securing the silencer to the chassis were not bolted up tight but had the bolts left slightly loose, but secured by locknuts. Alternatively Thackeray washers (double spring washers) have been used. The idea in each case is to give some flexibility to the silencer mounting in order to avoid putting stress on the cast iron manifold if the chassis flexed over uneven surfaces. Personally, I felt that a piece of flexible pipe was a better solution.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000