Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2790 for sale
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike lewis

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2019 :  21:04:45  Show Profile
Hello all,
I'm still looking for a J2 either here in the States ( very tough) or across the pond in the UK. A nice one has just come on the market in Car and Classic website in Devon region. Car J2790, BRG with apple green interior. Looks nice and have requested more info on it. Says it has a Wolesley block and M steering rack. Hate to show my ignorance but does that kill the value or a typical change done in the 30's ? Any of the MMM members familiar with this J2 ?
Thanks,
Mike

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2019 :  08:10:49  Show Profile
Mike :

A few random thoughts.
It's the start of the Silly season-August and hot.
So reply's maybe a little slow.
The J types owners will no doubt have feeling on the replacement
parts question.
J's are fairly plentiful and come in all states.
See: Cars for sale on this site.
Distance purchasing is very much a double edged event.

Have you tried the dealers Barry Walker and Andy King.?
Both have websites and are; well dealers.
So there are cost implications.

Lew Palmer at the North American MMM Register might be worth a email.see link this site.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2019 :  10:25:24  Show Profile
Hello Mike

The Register does not have any recent information on J2790.

The file shows it was originally black with grey upholstery, engine number 1502 AJ and Registration JK 2828. The car was delivered to first owner A Champion, Eastbourne on 23rd February 1932.

The car has Register number 1096 which would have been issued in the mid 1960s.

The Registrar for the J2s is John Emmett whose contact details are on the Register's web site.

Good luck in finding a J2.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page

John Mee

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  07:35:51  Show Profile
Hello George.
Would the Register number be later than the 60s ? I registered my F in 1970 and my number is 926.. There do seem to be quite a few MMM cars for sale, probably a good time to buy, old car prices seem to be down at the moment. I don’t think the younger generation are as interested and or don’t have the time.

John Mee
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  09:03:44  Show Profile
The need to take climate change seriously renders expensive possessions such as these a bit of a liability, I am afraid... Seriously wondering whether to sell mine and buy a yacht!
Go to Top of Page

John Mee

United Kingdom
209 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  10:20:00  Show Profile
I think you are right. Back in the seventies my wife used the F for work., later we used to take two small children in the back, plus camping gear and drive down to MG live on a Friday, back in time for school on Monday. Not many young families have the time to do this, and then there’s the seat belt issue. Not sure if I want to do it these days in modern traffic. Although these days my everyday car is a ZB Magnette which I find is ok in modern traffic. When using the F in the seventies it was only forty years old and felt like it. The Z is sixty two but doesn’t feel like it. Like a lot of activities it’s difficult to find support from the younger generation, and think this is true of the old car movement generally.

John Mee
Go to Top of Page

mike lewis

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  17:45:41  Show Profile
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the replies ! I have spoken with the owner of J2790 and something might come of that. One of the MMM members is going to try and take a look at it in next couple of weeks. Also have spoken with the owner of another J2 in the Netherlands and it is a beauty.

As to the aging of the enthusiasts for our love of these old cars, you all are spot on. Same problem over here in the States. You look at any of the pictures of events with other club members and almost all are "gray tops" like myself. I do wonder who will be the stewards of these old cars when our generation is gone.
Best regards,
Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000