Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Alfin Brake drums
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2019 :  19:45:10  Show Profile
I have now fitted the Alfin drums to the L2.

There was quite a lot of work involved but I am pleased with the drums which are so much lighter than the originals.

George
L2023

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2019 :  20:19:06  Show Profile

Thanks for posting the pictures, George.

The effect with the new drums looks superb !

Cheers,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2019 :  20:35:19  Show Profile
Chris - have sent you an email.

George
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2019 :  21:26:39  Show Profile
They do look fabulous George.

I'd be very interested to know what different aspects needed fettling as I thought (how wrong can you be?!) that they were a straight swap.

Also I'd be interested in your impression of the improvement that I presume you get in braking.

Cheers, and thanks in advance,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2019 :  22:39:55  Show Profile

Email received with thanks, George.

Best regards,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  09:41:33  Show Profile
George

Like Dave I thought these were going to be a straight swap. I also would be interested to hear what "quite a lot of work involved" entailed?

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685 - Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  11:53:09  Show Profile
When I first tried to fit the drums I found the wall thickness was too deep and thus there was not enough landing for the retaining nuts. I took them back to Typecast with a distance piece to reflect the required wall thickness. The drums walls were re- machined to the required thickness which Adrian at Type Cast was happy with. I have to say the service I received from Adrian was very good.

I found that even though all the adjustment in the cables was taken out I could not get the front brake cams fully off and the drums were thus a tight fit. Even when the front cable ends were taken off the brake lever there was still a bit of binding. A very good friend, who is a skilled machinist, came to the same conclusion as me and that a very small amount - 10 thou of an inch - could be machined off the brake drum cast iron linings. To facilitate this we made up a boss which was centered in a 4 jaw chuck and the drums were bolted to this for the very light machining.

The rear drums went on without any further problem but I had to take about 1/8" off the two front outer cables to ensure the brake cams were fully off when the cables were re-attached to the brake lever. This was nothing to do with the drums, the outer cable length was just fractionally too long.

I have now adjusted all the brakes and covered 120 miles without any binding etc. As can seen from the photo of the front brake lever there is tons of room I need to tighten the cables to take up any wear in the shoes.

The drums looks great, they save a lot of weight and the braking is better than with the old drums which were slightly glazed.

The attached image shows the machined boss.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 28/07/2019 12:03:34
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  12:07:34  Show Profile
PS - a friend fitted Alfin drums to his TA a few years ago and is very pleased with them.

George
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  15:37:35  Show Profile
George,

Quote: "A very good friend, who is a skilled machinist, came to the same conclusion as me and that a very small amount - 10 thou of an inch - could be machined off the brake drum cast iron linings."

Would it not have been easier to take the 10 thou off the linings which are meant to be consumable, rather than effectively introducing wear to a new pair of drums?

Even if you did not fancy doing this yourself there are people who provide this service:

http://www.autoandindustrial.co.uk/index.php?webpage=radius-grinding

Nigel.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  18:46:19  Show Profile
Many thanks George. Maybe with MG experience of the drums, new ones will now be machined to the wall thickness needed before delivery. It would be a long trip from Sussex to "take them back".

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2019 :  20:29:58  Show Profile
Dave - yes Typecast must have amended their drawings for the 12 inch drums for our cars. I was quite surprised there was a problem as I am sure I was not the first customer to order the drums!

Nigel - when the drums were accurately set up on the lathe two were found to have slight high spots, we thought these might have been caused when the drums were set up in a chuck prior to re-machining the walls. The very light machining removed these. On another we found the diameter on the inner surface was very slightly smaller than the outer surface, again the light machining corrected this.

I did think of removing some material from the shoes but this would have been a much bigger task. The amount of material removed from the drums was minuscule.

George
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000