Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG PB Fuel Tank Dip Stick
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cook

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2019 :  16:34:10  Show Profile
I know that this request is "Old hat." Can someone please point me in the direction of a previous article/post on making a fuel tank dipstick for an MG PB fuel tank, i.e. Material, overall length required and gallon or litre level marking points ? Thanks.....

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2019 :  18:03:24  Show Profile
Hi Ian

The Blower book shows the P type tank holds 12 gallons with 3 in reserve.

When I rebuilt the L2 I put in the reserve amount of fuel, then marked my dip stick to reflect this level. If you require marks for further levels then just pour in previously measured fuel and mark the dip stick accordingly. For material all you need is a length of wood of small dimension e.g. 1/2 inch square.

As to length you need to leave just sufficient to enable you to dip the tank without losing the stick!

I note you mention a PB, your profile shows only an M type. I wonder if you have you let Graham Arrondelle, Registrar for the PB types, that you own the car?

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 26/08/2019 18:10:44
Go to Top of Page

cook

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2019 :  20:38:23  Show Profile
Hi George

Thank you for your suggestions. I understand that a "Peter Scott" posted some details relating to the necessary dipstick measurements on the forum some time ago. I have been unable to find that post. However in the absence of any further information, your suggestions will be invaluable.
Thank You...

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2019 :  22:53:36  Show Profile
This post perhaps?

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=326&SearchTerms=Fuel,tank,dip,stick

I have found that the critical issues are (a) to know at what point the fuel runs out when on the main supply (and mark your stick accordingly) and (b) on reserve use the fuel pump to pump the fuel into a container until it runs out and mark the stick again. Then measure the amount pumped out and that tells you what your reserve is. Then pour that fuel back into the tank, connect up your fuel pump and drive to your local garage. Then add fuel in one gallon increments and mark the stick accordingly. If your local garage is more than a mile or so away, then top up the tank to the mark you made when it ran out on the main supply and then add the fuel in one gallon increments.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 26/08/2019 23:22:31
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2019 :  10:45:46  Show Profile
...and the final stage is to document your measurements and post them on here in order to help the next person :-)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2019 :  12:31:34  Show Profile
The trouble with that, Kevin, is that the markings are dependent on where the main pipe ends. You need to measure and mark by filling up the tank, gallon by gallon, from the level where you run out on the main pipe. Only then will the dip stick show how much fuel you have left before needing to switch to your reserve.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2019 :  13:27:47  Show Profile
Have I been doing it all wrong these years, Simon? I wait till the engine first splutters, reach back and flick the reserve switch; job done!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2019 :  13:35:09  Show Profile
Ah, but that requires one to have a working reserve! My tank was made with both pipes the same length so knowing how much is left is essential. I’m working on a fix but have not yet finalised it.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2019 :  13:55:25  Show Profile
Ah, a J2 Special (on a J2 chassis, of course).

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2019 :  18:00:49  Show Profile
3/8 wooden dowel works well at showing the level, but don't leave it in the tank as vibration slowly hammers it through the bottom.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

cook

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2019 :  18:46:35  Show Profile
Ok, Thanks for all the replies so far. Surely someone out there in MG Land has made a dipstick for a PB Fuel Tank and can publish the necessary dimensions. I assume that are all tanks virtually the same. However, I have never seen the inside of a PB fuel tank. I now know that it holds 12 gallons of which are 3 in reserve. So when you put the dipstick into the tank and it goes right to the bottom, I assume that it is in the main tank section. If my recently purchased 12mm !/2") wooden dowel shows a fuel depth of 75mm (3"), how much fuel is in the main tank assuming the 3 gallons are in the reserve. I know now that if I add measured fuel I can mark the dipstick accordingly. At present my dipstick measures 11" of fuel from the bottom of the tank. How much have I got in the Tank ? One other point; how does fuel get into the reserve tank considering that you need to throw a switch it in order to use the fuel? Do I have to fill it separately using the switch?
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2019 :  18:58:41  Show Profile
There are two pipes that exit the tank ...one is set low in the tank ..the reserve supply...the other is set higher, from memory about 4 inches higher. When the dashboard tap is set to main fuel enters the higher pipe, as the tank empties it eventually sucks air, the pump goes wild, the engine falters and will stop if the dash tap is not quickly turned to reserve.

The dash tap is prone sucking air and some are blanked off so that there is no differentiation between main and reserve so you need to check that your tap is functioning. Searching for reserve tap will provide further information.

Robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2019 :  19:32:16  Show Profile
The reserve is not a separate section of the tank. Instead there are two pipes, one drawing fuel via a gauze filter from the bottom of the tank and the other as a standpipe drawing from something like 4 inches from the bottom. It is this standpipe which in effect forms the "main" tank, while the other is the reserve. The switch as you call it is merely a tap to which both of these pipes are connected and which thus can connect one or the other to the fuel pump.

Dave

Believe it or not Robin, despite the difference in timing, you post did not show when I did mine!

Edited by - Oz34 on 28/08/2019 19:33:59
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2019 :  22:12:19  Show Profile
Well at least we agree over the 4 inches ..........

Robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

cook

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2019 :  16:57:38  Show Profile
Hi Guys. Thank you all for your input. I have used your information together with a geometric calculation of the fuel tank. The PB Handbook states that the car has a 12 gallon tank. Because the tank in cross section is not a regular rectangle, the vertical fuel depth measurement increases proportionally with each gallon added. Further infinite calculations possible but unnecessary. Therefore the simplest method is to first mark the dowel dipstick at 4" from the bottom to allow for the 3 gallon reserve. Add fuel in 1 gallon increments and mark dipstick accordingly. Thank you all, once again for all your suggestions. PS. Does anyone supply and fit a fuel gauge?
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2019 :  17:22:44  Show Profile
Ian, just to emphasise, both Robin & I say ABOUT 4 inches. In my case this is from memory at least 5 years old and may be out.

I think I would start either from an empty tank or as Simon J suggests, select main, run out then add measured gallons from there.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000