Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Dudley Cottingham's J2 J4129 Conservation
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  06:53:00  Show Profile
Whilst in the process of reconstructing DHC's J2 ash frame and body, I noticed the body number impressed into the rear upright panel. This is only visible when light catches it at the right angle and I had not spotted it before. Its been impressed just above the rear end of the transmission tunnel.I am posting this just for general interest/knowledge, any comments would be appreciated from the ' experts ' on these models.

I have reconstructed the original firewall by delaminating both aluminium surfaces and laminating to a new piece of ply.

Same with the original floorboards, I have removed the top layer of the ply and laminated to a new ply base infilling missing sections.

This J2 is a conservation, not a restoration utilising as much of the original car as I have.

The original floorboards had a hardboard top layer, a section can be seen in the photo, under the seat plate, this appears to be original. Any comments please on this, Thankyou.

The top layer of the floorboards are now removed and laminated to new ply, the hardboard ( a small section remains ) would appear to be original.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Delaminated top layer of the trapdoor, to be laminated to new ply.

Edited by - MG Maverick on 09/09/2019 07:20:16

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  07:29:24  Show Profile
My understanding is that the firewall was faced with hot dip galvanised iron sheet (with a fine crystal finish), and not aluminium.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  07:32:13  Show Profile
Thankyou Ian, I am corrected.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  08:04:28  Show Profile
The firewall actually had a fairly large galvanised flake, not fine

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  08:43:43  Show Profile
Thanks Rich.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  10:15:28  Show Profile
Chris, this is clearly the J2 equivalent of the stamping above the passenger's knee on a P Type

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  15:21:07  Show Profile
You have done well to reconstruct those floorboards. On my 4199 (only a week or so after)the floorboards were plain ply without any hardboard overlay. Almost certainly original but totally destroyed by woodworm larvae and impossible to find enough good material to recover! Never thought to look for the body number on the heel board but it was too far gone anyway. Surprising to see the Petrolift fuel pump on the firewall, mine had the conventional SU pump. Body number also stamped on scuttle framing as shown on the P type picture. Will we ever know what was really "original" after 85 years?? Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  16:28:22  Show Profile
Tom Wilson from the US visited today. He gave us a lot of advice, we were able to view and discuss the many original items, including trim that we are attempting to conserve. In his opinion, the hardboard covering to the floorboards is not original, but a later addition.It would appear that bucket seats were fitted, replacing the originals. The floorboards were indeed riddled with woodworm, but removing the top layer of ply and soaking in fluid, then laminating back onto new ply will maintain the historic value of these items.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2019 :  16:46:47  Show Profile
Thanks Dave, I will have a look at the same position for an impression. I cannot comment on the petrol pump, the holes for the pump were ' in place ' and had actually been moved up slightly for some reason. The petrolift pump was donated by a friend from South Africa as the one that came with the parts was far too corroded, and broken.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000