Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Cottingham's J4129...More help please
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2019 :  16:28:25  Show Profile
In with the parts came this wooden platform, it can only be a seat support. I have fitted the steering column that came with the parts and it would seem that Dudley altered the seat arrangements and fitted a longer steering column, any help, guidance or observations please. ( The happy chappie is not me ).

Also, there are two notches cut in the rear upright, any ideas why these were cut. ( Last photo )Thanks.

The white ply is only tempory while we delaminate the original ply and reapply to fresh birch ply to maintain the original surface.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 26/10/2019 16:56:43

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2019 :  20:45:29  Show Profile
Hi Chris

This steering column never ran with this car.

Once you drop the seat in, you will find that there will be absolutely no room to accommodate a driver no matter how emaciated.

I suspect the previous owner stubbled on a 6 cylinder length column, possibly for parts. You need the correct J2 column, not P type as they look wrong and not J1 as these are too short.

Hope this helps

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2019 :  22:00:15  Show Profile
Slots are likely to aid in lifting the rear tray cover. I know I struggle mightily to lift mine.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2019 :  22:28:44  Show Profile
Just realised Chris, you are making a raised seat base.

If this is how the previous guy had it then his head height will have been above the top of the windscreen frame. Is it not all going to look extremely odd, and losing all the driving feel of a sports car?

It hardly seems surprising he and his passenger were killed when it turned over.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2019 :  07:51:14  Show Profile
Raising the, possibly unanswerable question, of Cottingham's height!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2019 :  08:19:19  Show Profile
Thanks Rich and Ian,

Just another probably unanswerable queston. I cannot be sure that this was a 'Cottingham' modification, perhaps later, its impossible to know.

In any case this will be disregarded, as will the longer steering column which as Rich suggests may have been a spares donor.

Would anyone wish to swop for a J2 one ?

My thanks Rich for your expert advice.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2019 :  09:56:17  Show Profile
Have you been in touch with the Harrow Car Club, Chris ? As Dudley C was a founder (or at least a very early member) of the Club, and obviously a very highly regarded chap in HCC circles, some present member might just have photographs of him from which his height could be deduced.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2019 :  18:49:09  Show Profile
Hello Colin, Yes, Dudley was the secretary of the Harrow Car Club until his death. I have been in contact with them, but sadly they have no archived photos or members from those times. I even contacted Sir Stirling Moss, his parents were officials of the club at the same time, but had no response.

I have had a couple of messages stating that they have seen cars adapted in this fashion and I recall seeing something similar many years ago at Goodwood, unfortunately I had little interest and did not pursue it further.

I cannot believe that Cottingham had this set up as I am sure that the original steering column and wheel would have been written off in the crash. I will not be refitting this set-up with the platform as I consider it dangerous and ugly. Thanks for your response. Also thankyou Lew for the headsup on the slots, your explanation for their purpose makes sense.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2019 :  15:55:54  Show Profile
Hi Chris, can I also add a few comments relating to the seat "plinths" that you show in your photos.

I assume that steel bucket seats were screwed to the raised bases which as Richard Hardy suggests would make the driver and passenger sit "on the car" rather than "in it". If this was the case it would seem to me that the back of the bucket seats would have needed some bracing, as relying on the wood screws at the base of the seats to keep upright whilst braking and accelerating in rallying or racing would be a bit iffy.

The notches in the upstand behind the seat position may be part of a long lost support system, although the spacing is not ideal for this theory.

If on the other hand seat squabs were placed on the "plinths" how was the padded seat back braced, presumably a shortened version was made and used the back of the car to support the seat back.

I notice that the outside cuts of the 2 notches are slightly angled suggesting that something may have been "plugged" into the slots, perhaps the locating spikes of the amended seat back?

I am glad that you are not proceeding with this seat arrangement it certainly looks odd and precarious.

Wish you well with your restoration and please keep the pictures coming.

Russ
PB0333
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000