Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Christmas Train Set.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  10:46:25  Show Profile
Thanks Tony, I totally agree with you, many car clubs do promote interaction with other members and a gratique on their life history.

In my view, it gives insight and encouragement to others that anything is possible. Both my brother and I went through the engineering route. My brother ended up running a major Mercedes centre, whilst restoring classics, he inherited our father's SS100 which he still enjoys, his passion is on the water with his yacht, rather than in the air. I have also freefall parachuted, scary to start with but great fun, albeit freezing in the winter and one needs to be able to function to open the canopy ! My flying days are now over, it was an ambition that I satisfied , during my first marriage, but my second/current wife had no interest, she preferred to keep her feet as near to the ground as possible. I would suggest other owners put a few words on their lifes journey, I have just been contacted by an owner whose friend flew ME262s at the end of WW2, now 98 years young, fabulous.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 31/12/2019 10:47:14
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  12:22:39  Show Profile

Word from the Comber Historical Society is as follows -

This was the Glassmoss Crossing out the Newtownards Road. A temporary footbridge was put in place across the road with platforms at either side (see attached picture - you may recognise the houses in the background, they are still there on what is no longer a through road). Passengers alighted from the train at one platform, crossed the bridge and embarked on another train at the other side. This enabled the railway to continue running while the race was in progress.

Railway passengers would have had several excellent views of the race along the line. As the train pictured returned those on board would have looked a the race running by the aerodrome (where Von Ribentrop once landed in his Junkers 52 3m on a visit to Lord Londonderry). Slowly crossing the railway bridge over the road in Newtownards would have provided another spectacular view of the race as the cars passed beneath.This was the bridge where the Riley went out of control with very tragic results in 1936.

This interesting machine featured on the Belfast & County Down Railway.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  12:30:16  Show Profile
What an interesting machine, where do they keep the coal, as there appears to be no bunker?
In fact it looks like it backed into a coach a little bit too hard!!

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  14:34:02  Show Profile
and for lines where traffic was of lower density...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  17:39:23  Show Profile
Was there a small coal bunker either side of the boiler behind the tanks?

"A temporary footbridge was put in place across the road with platforms at either side (see picture) - you may recognise the houses in the background, they are still there on what is no longer a through road)."

I should have included this excellent picture courtesy of the Comber Historical Society.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  17:57:33  Show Profile
For a steam powered locomotive the major volume is not taken by coal, but water (1 ton of coal to 2.5 tons water; 40cuft coal to 80cuft water). Hopefully the decimal points have stayed in the right place!
It is far from clear where these were held in these locomotives; saddle tanks?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Edited by - Ian Bowers on 31/12/2019 17:58:35
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  18:23:59  Show Profile
Sam

Do you have a year for that last photo? There weren’t many years where there were 40 entries and 1928 could be a possibility as number 40 was an OM.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  19:13:58  Show Profile
Simon I have just sent an email to the Comber Historical Society to ask if the year of the photo is known. It is a fine picture but a pity it is not an MG.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  22:35:25  Show Profile

Sam
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2019 :  23:11:38  Show Profile

"I would suggest other owners put a few words on their lifes journey."

"Von Ribentrop once landed in his Junkers 52 3m on a visit to Lord Londonderry."

While it might be a seprate topic, I agree about sharing the life experiences a collector car often affords. J3752 introduced Betty Haig, Countess Moy and others. Its prewar German history included places known to me from the '60s, including a Wirtshaus high in the Black Forest, where both the J3 and my '64 Morgan drew onlookers, 30 years and a war apart.

The mention of von Ribbentrop triggers another connection: while living in Berlin Dahlem, the countess and her husband played bridge with the von Ribbentrops every Thursday night. Pam's husband did not drive, and the J3 was their only car.

J3752 has taken me places few will ever go, yet only the earliest years of its fascinating history have been brought to light. The long road through WWII to the US remains to be traveled.

Best of 2020 to all.

John.
Go to Top of Page

RH9797

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2020 :  19:41:08  Show Profile
Regarding the location of the water tank for the LSWR engine / carriage combo, could it possibly have a Well tank placed between the frames, to the rear of the driven axle and beneath the footplate? There is some pipework on the side. Equally, there is a filler visible on the top of the tank...
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2020 :  14:53:43  Show Profile
The 'Bug' as it was called, had water stored in the side tanks and also had storage for coal beneath the tanks. No room for the conventional bunker, of course. It is an interesting vehicle in its own right and for those of you who are interested, there is a decent write up here..

http://www.wirralmodelengineeringsociety.co.uk/Articles/The%20Bug%20pt1.pdf

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2020 :  18:53:43  Show Profile
Sam

Any word of the date of that photo?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2020 :  19:33:16  Show Profile
Hello, Simon.

By a process of elimination, I think you are correct in saying the date is 1928. Car No. 40 an OM driven by R.F. Oats.

Regards,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2020 :  20:29:08  Show Profile
I’d agree, Chris, but just curious what the Comber Historical Society had to say. As I’ve said elsewhere, I think it’s important that, where possible, when information is presented that we get the facts right for others who might come after us. So for the record, the TT entrants with car number 40 were:

1928 R.F. Oats, OM, 8th overall, 1st in class
1929 J. Bezzant, Aston Martin, retired after 20 laps with 'engine trouble'
1930 R. Carraciola, Mercedes Benz, disqualified for using modified supercharger
1931 S.A Crabtree, M.G. C Type, (C0267), 3rd overall, 2nd in class
1934 A. Ashton Rigby, M.G. L2

I think we can safely say that it has to be the OM in the photo.

Many thanks

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000