Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bearings for N type gearbox
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2008 :  23:40:32  Show Profile
I am in the process of rebuilding an N type gearbox.
Can anyone tell me what the bearing number/reference is for the three needle roller bearings?
Also can you advise the reference for the two main bearings.
Do they need to be a special tolerance bearing? I seem to remember that there were different grades of bearings
I am also thinking of fitting a one sided sealed bearing for the front bearing (if there is such a thing!).
Any advice would be gratefully received!
Rod

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2008 :  08:56:18  Show Profile
Rod,

Can't give you the reference numbers but I bought the three needle rollers from the BSL Bremmer depot in Paisley. I took one of the old ones in and they ordered to suit. I was told by others that these bearings were unobtainable. I believe it is better to machine the scroll off the first motion shaft and modify the ali casting to take a proper lip seal - likewise with the output shaft.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

KevinH

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2008 :  13:34:06  Show Profile
Rod,
I also used BSL Brammer when rebuilding my P gearbox recently, and also S&V a while ago who stocked all the P gearbox bearings. The advantage with BSL is that they have many bearings in stock and are a short drive away, so no waiting for the postman.
If you are told that a particular bearing is unavailable, try The Vintage Bearing Company (0793 900 5739 sales@vintagebearings.co.uk). They supplied me with a new clutch thrust bearing for the P for ú35 when everyone else either said it was unavailable or wanted a fortune for one.
Regards,
Kevin
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2008 :  20:08:05  Show Profile
If you need single sealed bearings just buy double sealed ones and remove one seal but I agree with Jan, modifying the box for proper seals is the better option.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  23:27:21  Show Profile
I recently obtained a complete set of bearings via Brammer Cambridge 01223 210511.

Rollers BRC 100316 (three needed)

Front ball race 62072RS (= two rubber seals, remove inner one before fitting)

Rear ball race MJ7/8
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  01:26:40  Show Profile
As aleady stated, you can just prise out the seal on one side (easily) but the seals are designed to keep lubricant in and not form a barrier. It sounded a good idea but I now know the above from personal experience!
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  13:45:51  Show Profile
You must have been unlucky. I have used that method on many gearboxes and never had a problem. I do retain the oil scroll.

Edited by - kimber on 08/07/2008 13:46:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000