Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Dynamos Beware - Keyways
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  17:26:32  Show Profile
I am posting this just in case someone ends up with a faulty unit.

Just before Flat Cap and Whippet I had a small issue with my dynamo. With less that a week before the event I was not certain if I could get it resolved so I ordered a 2 brush unit from Wood Autos. It arrived the following day but I soon discovered that I could not use it as a direct replacement. I had 2 issues with it. One was the keyway was too large by about 20 thou, so that the bottom cog would “fret” on the shaft, so would soon become loose and also alters the timing. Second issue was the top keyway was not in line with the bottom keyway by about 20 or so degrees. This could be overcome by retiming the car by moving the cog on the crank etc. However, I had no way of knowing if I would still need to make a stepped key to get the timing spot on. Anyway, this is best done with the engine on the bench not in the car and I did not have time for this. Currently, my car is timed with all the manufacturing marks on the original cogs in inline etc.

I wrote an email to Wood Autos and they immediately undertook an investigation. They came back to me to say that I was correct and that they had recently bought a new cutter for the manufacturing processes and this cutter has been cutting over size. They had checked their stock and the old stock dynamos the keyway at the bottom was correct but the new ones had the fault I identified.

As they were at Huddersfield I called in to Wood Autos on my way home from FC&W. I was shown there complete processes and the excellent work they do. However, they are not MG experts and were not fully aware of the significance of my second issue of top keyway not being in line with the bottom. As they had to scrap current batch of shafts they commissioned a new batch and sent me the first sample to check. This was OK. I understand that they have contacted the people who they believe may have had a unit with a faulty shaft.

This post is no way a criticism of Wood Autos as mistakes do happen. They have acted responsibly and I believe they have corrected the situation. They are keeping our cars on the road by making these units and repairing the original ones.

So please be aware of the above if buying 2 brush units as one or two may have been passed on by dealers at Stoneligh etc.

BUT ALSO BE AWARE OF: a few weeks later there was a trader selling starters and dynamos at Silverstone. He also had vertical alternators for sale at over £1000! The top and bottom keyways were also NOT in line. I tried to explain the problems this could cause and showed him the difference to the original DDS 14 types he had for sale. However, he was not interested! (These units have no connection with Wood Autos.)

So you need to be aware of this if you propose fitting one of his units.

Regards…… Terry
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000