Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Clutch Cover Circumference
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2008 :  19:51:06  Show Profile
I wonder if someone has a P-type clutch cover (i.e. the bit with the toggles on) accessible and could measure the circumference of it for me, ignoring the flange which bolts onto the flywheel? A piece of string wrapped around it will suffice and then the length of the string in millimetres.

I have some rather confusing marks on the clutch/flywheel and want to start from scratch with TDC, ignition and valve opening points. I realise that these marks should ideally be on the flywheel, but unless you have some experience in gynaecology, this is difficult to achieve with the gearbox in situ.

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2008 :  20:38:52  Show Profile
Andrew,

Looks like 26.3" to me.
John R
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2008 :  21:19:39  Show Profile
Andy

I have been struggling with the same questions. I had estimated a circumference of 26.7". This gives 1.48" for the 20 degree static timing.

John's 26.3", which must be more accurate, if his clutch is not attached to a gearbox, would give 1.46" for 20 degrees. Blower states that 20 degrees is "exactly 1.5in".

So I guess that the answer is "20 degrees is exactly 1.5" or thereabouts".

However marking the clutch cover is not an easy job, nor is squinting at the marks with engine running. So my next approach is to see if I can use the front pulley instead. Perhaps looking at the lower part of the pulley from underneath the car, with a timing disc fixed to the front face of the pulley. Just a thought at the moment. I have not investigated the practicalities yet.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2008 :  22:22:34  Show Profile
Andrew, happily (for your purposes at least) my gearbox is out of the car and I make the measurement of the circumference 26 5/16" or 26.31"

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743

(PS my clutch is PA)

Edited by - DickMorbey on 24/02/2008 22:23:08
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2008 :  23:19:08  Show Profile
Most helpful, chaps, as always!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic