Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bishop Cam reclamation
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2008 :  21:20:54  Show Profile
I need to bush the rocker shaft bore of my steering box. The plan I had was to bore it out and fit prefinished steel backed bronze bushes but cannot locate any, the nearest I can find are TC king pin bushes which require reaming and I don't have access to a reamer. Are Glacier Polymer lined bushes suitable? Has anyone got a better idea or do I have to make my own bronze bushes?

Maurice Blakey.

RacingSnake

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2008 :  22:57:44  Show Profile
Maurice,
I don't know the size you require, or the details of the installation, but you can buy various sizes of bronze oilite bush quite easily.
Ondrives have a reasonable range: http://www.ondrives.com/products.asp?subcatid=42

They are not steel-backed, but I would have thought the housing into which it will be fitted would offer support.

Apologies if this is not what you were thinking of....

Alex.
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2008 :  00:14:41  Show Profile
Maurice,

There is a very informative article, by Eric Worpe in Issue 23 of that excellent magazine (I would say that wouldn't I!) "Totally T-Type". It is actually a typed up copy of a flip chart presentation, which Eric gave to the 'T' Register's 'Rebuild' event in March 2007. Whilst it deals with the Bishop Cam 'box in the TC,the principle is the same for the earlier 'boxes.

The longer steel backed bushes, which Eric mentions are now sold out, but you could use three TC king pin bushes instead of the two longer ones. As you probably know, I have a stock of these which are sold on a non profit making basis. They are ú6.50 each and I had to buy 300 to get the price down to this level.

You can download Issue 23 of TTT by going to the 'T' Register's website www.tregister.org and clicking the "Totally T-Type button.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2008 :  00:22:42  Show Profile
Maurice,

If you have access to a lathe it's quite an easy job to bore out the existing bushing and turn up new ones (one for each end) and press them in. The trickier bit in my experience is reaming the resulting hole to a nice fit, especially if you're trying to re-use the existing shaft, which is probably slightly oval. So if you can't lay your hands on a reamer you're stuffed!

I thought about oilite bushes but in the end used a hardish phosphor bronze both in the Bishop Cam box on my NB and in the Marles Weller in the P Type. The NB has done about 2000 miles now without trouble. The P Type was done quite recently but seems fine with no binding.
Cheers.
Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2008 :  20:49:24  Show Profile
Thanks gentlemen. As there seem to be no prefinished bushes available I will make my own bronze ones and bore them to size after fitting. this will be the cheapest option.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
874 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2008 :  18:15:16  Show Profile
I found from experience that bronce bushes soon wear out again.
I ream out the often slightly oval bore. Then I have the shaft ground, also to remove a slight ovality, and have the shaft built up with hard-chrome. After grinding it to the size of the reamed bore, it will again withstand many miles driving.
But that method only works, when the bore has not already been bushed before.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2008 :  23:23:26  Show Profile
If you need the shaft hard chroming and grinding back to standard as described by Gerhard, then Ken Robinson at Slough Grinding Services can be recommended. Tel 01753 696989. He also does complete rebuilds of steering boxes.
John R
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2008 :  20:00:08  Show Profile
Thanks John but too late I have already bored out the box for bushes.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000