Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 University Motors N type Coupe
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  11:13:30  Show Profile
I reckon you have found the answer, Gerhard. In fact, Phil B-P and Keith Portsmore who saved this car for us, usually refer to it as a "faux cabriolet", which sounds very much the same as "simulated convertible".

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 10/02/2020 11:16:04
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  11:49:22  Show Profile
I agree!

Perhaps University Motors produced the body in the hope that there would be a demand, after all they were involved in much bodywork on the K tourers the production of which will have just ceased with the introduction of the N series?

George.
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  13:34:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle
I wonder how many N types were supplied by UM with the coupe body?

George,
another definite candidate for an University N-type Coupé is NA0467.

When I remember rightly, it was called in the works files "University Folding Head Coupe", the color was black/brown, and the registration was BGJ 752.
The only thing which puzzles me, are the words "Folding Head", as when it is a “simulated convertible” there is nothing to fold ?

And George, when you have a look into the works files, there are three more aspirants for University Motors Coupès:

NA0363 a Blue and Cream Drophead with the Reg. No. MG 3381
NA0579 also a Folding Head Coupe with the Reg. No. MG 3713
NA0622 University Spec. Body, K fascia, Reg. No. MG 3750
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2020 :  15:33:02  Show Profile
Hi Gerhard

You certainly have access to a lot of information. I have looked at the files which show:-
NA0467 - supplied by University Motors as drophead coupe. There is no record of the car having survived. The same information applies to NA0363 and NA0579 - what a shame all seemed to have perished.
NA0622, the file shows only that it was delivered as a chassis only, there is no other information and this car also seems not to have survived.

We have now compiled a unique list of chassis numbers for the drophead coupes supplied by University Motors. Perhaps the survival rate is down to the bodies quickly falling to pieces?
I wonder if I will find any more N drophead coupes as I work my way through the files.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2020 :  18:44:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle

Hi Gerhard

Perhaps the survival rate is down to the bodies quickly falling to pieces?

This certainly seems to have been the case with the earlier M Type Coupes. As far as we know only 1 fabric bodied example survived and possibly 3 metal paneled cars that still have their original or refurbished bodies.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  19:08:49  Show Profile
IMHO the UM N Type Coupe is not the world's most attractive car!

I also imagine that, with the distance the trunk overhangs, the handling with any useable amount of luggage must have been appalling. To compound matters, it looks as though any rear seat passengers would be seated behind the back axle. Is it any wonder they didn't survive?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  20:29:10  Show Profile
There is nothing on the DVLA website for MG 3381, MG 3713 or MG 3750.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000