Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Steering arm bolts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  20:13:56  Show Profile
Which way roung should the steering arm bolts be? The thin heads of all the backplate bolts suggests heads inside but if I fit mine this way the nut of the rearmost, ie the longest, one fouls the axle, even a 3/8 nut with a 5/16 size hexagon doe not cure the problem. Unfortunately I can't remember which way they were when I took it apart.

Maurice Blakey.

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  21:16:32  Show Profile
You haven't said which model you own.

Thin head of bolt inside backplate. If you are using the heavier type of steering arm, the problem you have described can occur. I have the same issue on my PA and I had to do some filing of the bolts and nuts to resolve it.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1567 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  22:03:05  Show Profile
Hi Maurice,
Check your emails for some info and photos I've just sent.

Bruce.
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  16:06:00  Show Profile
Andrew is quite right - the bolt heads go inside the backplates and you have to fettle the outside facing nuts to clear.
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  20:12:06  Show Profile
Thankyou all. The solution I have found is to turn a 45 degree taper on the top of the nut bringing the height of the hexagon down to about 3/16", this gives it claerance whilst retaining all the threads. I also used the thinnest spring washer I could find in my box.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000