Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 All electric Midget
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2020 :  12:38:26  Show Profile
Just received the latest edition of Safety Fast which includes a feature by Colin Grant on the creation by MG Workshop of an electric powered Midget.

Well done Cat and Thijs - next an electric powered Triple-M Midget........!

George
Petrol engined L2

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2020 :  14:39:56  Show Profile
GOOD GRIEF GEORGE... HOW THE HELL IS A DDS DYNAMO GOING TO COPE WITH THAT ... EVEN THE ROTAX AT SERIES WILL HAVE A PROBLEM.....
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2020 :  15:48:43  Show Profile
A few ideas:

You have the battery in two halves and a double armatured motor then you configure the gearbox to work:
first is armatures and batteries in series
second is armatures in parallel and batteries in series,
third is armatures in series and batteries in parallel third and
top is armatures and batteries both in parallel
For reverse I recommend everything in series...

I have wondered about having the motor where the gearbox is with direct drive and no gearbox at all, then the bonnet can be full of battery...

If you want th internal combustion bit then you need a carburettor that is suitable for hydrogen.
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2020 :  18:12:34  Show Profile
A really interesting article. I reckon that this will be the future for classic and vintage cars in 15 to 20 years time and an MMM MG would be a good platform for a conversion. It would be a very interesting new angle for the hobby and would attract new kinds of people to the classic car movement.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Ben Stephens

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2020 :  19:34:57  Show Profile
I had a drive of a Morris Minor with an electric motor. The original gearbox has been incorporated. I will be honest, apart from
the noise, it was good fun!

If it’s the way forward, so be it. To be honest, we could have control systems programmed to make it feel like different states of tune.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  00:51:50  Show Profile
It's enough to give one "the vapours." Next thing we will be contemplating is to convert the Flying Scotsman to run on electricity!
Go to Top of Page

Ben Stephens

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  01:09:32  Show Profile
Coracle,

Will be quite ironic given how electricity is produced using a steam turbine! The Scotsman is on our local line at the moment. Have seen it a couple of times recently. Fantastic engine!

Ben
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  07:52:13  Show Profile
Don't forget that hydrogen can be produced sustainably. All is not lost...
Go to Top of Page

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  08:10:30  Show Profile
No, no,

At least it should be noisy and stinky.

I am sure Thijs and Cathelijne wil cope with that!

Keep going!

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  08:26:40  Show Profile
Noise nostalgia, really!

Anyway, I was hoping someone would suggest suitable mods to the carburettors to cope with a move to hydrogen based carbon neutral fuel...

We gave up Castrol R and its alluring smell fo modern ways. I find that far more of a loss than the noise...

Go to Top of Page

BobH

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  08:55:59  Show Profile
"Anyway, I was hoping someone would suggest suitable mods to the carburettors to cope with a move to hydrogen based carbon neutral fuel..."

Its not as easy as that - you need some form of injection system to burn Hydrogen
This link is an introduction:

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/tech_validation/pdfs/fcm03r0.pdf

Edited by - BobH on 29/02/2020 08:56:54
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  10:34:09  Show Profile
May I suggest reading this article? It seems there is some interesting technology here that could provide a simple reduction in pollutants. It could also be applied to our domestic gas supplies as was done approximately 70 years ago!
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/2/16/16926950/hydrogen-fuel-technology-economy-hytech-storage
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  11:25:46  Show Profile
Hydrogen must be the way ahead... either burn as a fuel or use with a fuel cell to make electricity.... will help in many ways.... uses water and we seem to have more of that than we had previously ! Can be produced at any electricity power station with an electrolysis plant at any time they have spare capacity.... can be stored much more easily than electricity..... can be moved in bulk like oil..... and we will have lots of petrol stations that will need to sell more than bunches of flowers and boxes of chocolates and empty tanks which could be modified...... hot/sunny countries often have space for very large photovoltaic farms and could export it.... without the need to dig up the world to put in power lines or mine rare earth metals. and it takes about 5 minutes to fill a hydrogen powered car with gas! not even time to eat a motorway services burger ......
Giving up R oils..... but that is vegetable based...... and it keeps your gut very "regular".....
Does any one have info on the relative costs of Hydrogen powered cars compared to Battery ones? purchase and running costs?
FOZ(being serious for a change...)
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  11:45:57  Show Profile
No info on hydrogen cars.
But though I love the Emidge surely we can keep our cars running on methanol more easily than on hydrogen.
Just buy it at the drugstore ( back to the olden days)

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  12:00:35  Show Profile
During the war (39/45)--yes, I was just old enough to remember some of it-- my grandfather had a Hillman Minx which had an enormous (when filled) gas bag mounted on a frame on the roof. this was filled with coal gas from the local laundry. It must have been dreadful to drive! Still, it must have done the job at the time. Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  12:07:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Onno

Just buy it at the drugstore ( back to the olden days)
Onno "J,D" Könemann

Or make it yourself. (After taking into account local tax and excise laws!)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000