Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 K-type Brake Drums
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2008 :  18:40:44  Show Profile
I'm presently preparing the brake back plates and drums on a K1 for painting. They are the original Electron 13" Dia. with shrunk in steel linings. The drums have four cooling fins, between the outer two fins there is what I presume to be an anti brake squeak device. This consist of asbestos embedded in the recess of the fins approximately 3/8" deep. Then a thin steel band wound around the Dia. on top of the asbestos and affixed at each end with a split pin through an eye in the band and the two fins.

The brakes also have the anti squeak weights on the shoes.

I have seen K1s with this steel band and asbestos removed. As a matter of interest did the K3 drums also have this band? The bands are easy enough to remove and reinstall, and I could paint them before I refit them to the painted drum. Personally I would like to keep it original (mainly because I'd get ear ache from Mike Ellis if I didn't)

My concern is when I paint them, the asbestos is slightly visible once the band is in situ. This, over time, might flake off. I had considered polishing the drums and back plates. I tried it on one and the electron soon oxidizes.

Any thoughts or advise please?

Brian.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 15/03/2008 19:26:07

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2008 :  19:54:46  Show Profile
Brian,

K3 drums did not have the asbestos and band. I do not think the drums and back plates were painted originally. If you spray the drums and back plates with WD40 or a similar substance they will not oxidize, that is all I do on K3011.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  17:40:43  Show Profile
Peter,

Thanks for the response and the tip for WD 40. I intend to discard the asbestos rope and steel band from the drum.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000