Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Gleed MG
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2008 :  21:42:20  Show Profile
HI All

Does anyone have any info on the Gleed MG?

Around 1958 Peter Gleed from Derbyshire produced a racing car based on a Cooper MKIV 500cc F3 chassis but fitte with a MG R type supercharged engine.Did it ever race and is it still around?

Thanks

Bill

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2008 :  23:21:06  Show Profile
Bill,

You are probably aware of this, but here is a link to a photograph. Apparently it was entered for a race but did not start. http://www.forix.com/8w/6thgear/gleed-mg.jpg

John R
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2008 :  10:24:15  Show Profile
The pic in the link and another are in a book by Mike Lawrence, 'Grand Prix cars 1945-1965', and appear to show chain drive. With a claimed power to weight of 900 bhp/ton, the driver would presumably be happy that the engine was between himself and the chains! It apparently never raced. Looks pretty ungainly too, don't it? Plenty of oversteer I reckon...

Graham
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2008 :  21:30:24  Show Profile
Looking through my copious notes on R types from more than 50 years ago I have the following info re Peter Gleed and his R type engined Cooper. The story starts with R type 0253 fitted with a twin cam head purchased in the early 50s by a gent named Reynolds in Barnsley.
With the car he had a spare SOHC engine and in 1953 he swapped the car for a Cooper Mk. IV fitting the SOHC R Type engine into the Cooper with which he told me he had a few successes in local sprints.It was fitted with a Marshall blower giving 7lbs boost and had a CR of 10:1. Reynolds sold the car a few years later to Peter Gleed where it was claimed the engine developed 179BHP at 7400RPM. At the time I did query these figures but did not receive a reply. The last I heard of it it had suffered perhaps not unexpectantly a major blow up putting a rod into view via the side of the crankcase. Pictures I have from early '58 show the engine installation with the blower between the rear of the engine and the chain driven back axle. 0253 went on to have a very chequered life obtaining at least three different types of bodies before ending up in New Zealand where it now resides. I believe that the original body may have gone to Ivan Custerson a collector or owner of a number of interesting MG cars in the 50's. Coincidently 0253 suffered a similar fate to Gleed it too put a rod through the side when owned by Henry Hay Edwards who then did the first of three attempts to turn the car into a road going sports car. I have a number of photos of this car in its various guises some in my garage with 0257. Hope this helps if anyone can add anything further to the incidents and persons mentioned I would be much obliged - Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000