Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB/NB 30mph warning light fitted and original spec
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2020 :  02:31:11  Show Profile
Following on from an earlier topic, I wanted to share a photo of a fitted 30 mph warning light lens I made. This is in Michael Chirnside's PB, located in the South Island of New Zealand. The 30mph warning light is one of the few unique parts in the PB/NB models, along with the quick release petrol cap, and separate speedometer. Michael loaned the original to me as a pattern, and he was pleased with the remake being as close as possible to his boxed original. The body is made from brass tube, and the brass ring on my smaller lathe (Proxxon PD150/e). The lathe is small enough to make small bolts down to about 8BA, and the copper rivets I used on the backing plates (Michael used his original backing plate here). Original lenses are quite brittle, like egg shell Michael describes. Research indicates that the lenses were contracted to a jeweler to make, in a similar way the badges were made by Joseph Fray Ltd in Birmingham, and some others. I believe the original lenses were made from layered cellulose lacquer, and with the stripes applied photographically. I made my lens from layered tinted epoxy resin over a 3/4" glass marble, with a base layer of ultra-fine fibreglass cloth, the stripes with orange cotton thread, which also stops the resin 'running off' when applying.

Edited by - DDMDSN on 14/04/2020 02:38:57

DDMDSN

New Zealand
329 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2020 :  03:02:08  Show Profile
Thinking about this more, things can go full circle, and about jewelery techniques used on our cars.
The new MGs are being made in China.
China developed a number of techniques used in our cars.
Cellulose resin. This has been done in China since about the 13tn Century, an example of fine carved cellulose on a brass vase shown, from my collection.
Vitreous enameling as used in our badges. Early origins were in ancient Egypt, and developed by the Chinese in Cloisonne, example shown from my collection.
Looking to keep these sorts of crafts alive.

Edited by - DDMDSN on 14/04/2020 03:03:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000