Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Random pics
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tim27

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2020 :  18:48:29  Show Profile
Hi all cleaning up my hard drive and getting rid of unwanted pics and files and I thought I would post some. My garage I cant even get into the one one the left, and while I can open the door on the one with my car in, I need to cut the jungle to drive it on the road. The pic with the MG and rolling chassis is from the late 70's or early 80's the one with OY8369 is mid 60's. The NKY50 early 60's Now the BBB 245 is the early 60's, but what is it ?

edited to rotate pics.

Edited by - mgmog on 30/04/2020 19:02:23

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  12:05:30  Show Profile
Hi,

I believe that BBB245 is a Peerless 1600GT, the predecessor to the Gordon GT and the latter Gordon-Keeble.

Colin
Go to Top of Page

Tim27

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  12:44:54  Show Profile
Hi Colin, And thanks for your reply. I can see where you are coming from with your pic, but the rake of the front wings is a lot more, I was thinking Bristol ish. If it helps anyone the car was bought from a RAF base in Lincolnshire in the early 60's

Tim Walker
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  14:48:28  Show Profile
Tim
And here is a genuine Gordon Keeble - which, considering their rarety lives locally to you

Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  18:49:01  Show Profile
I am sure it is not a Peerless having been lucky enough to have owned one when I was just a bit younger! The screen for one thing did not wrap around like the Gordon Keeble and as far as I can see the car in the photo has a wrapped around front screen too. Other features at the front are also not familiar and although Peerless and later Warwick made a number of slightly different bodies they were all bassically similar.
Keith

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  06:42:52  Show Profile
According to https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/bb.htm

BBB was a 1934/5 Newcastle series. It was reintroduced in 1957 but that would have been digits followed by letters.

This combined with the one piece front hinged bonnet makes me think we have a 50s fibreglass/special body on a prewar chassis.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  09:01:52  Show Profile
Keith,

That's a real time-warp picture!

May I ask where and when?

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  09:46:04  Show Profile
Brian, I think the when is about 1967 and the where is somewhere like Buckhurst Hill in Essex (as was then but now probably Greater London).
This was the second car I ever bought and came after the M type that I still have today and had taken off the road to rebuild for the second time, having bought it as an abandoned non runner in 1964 and then used it as my daily transport until I had worn it out again! The M type was an M type and did not go very fast but was exciting to drive. The Peerless was a completely different kettle of fish. It was based on TR3A mechanicals contained within a strong but lightweight space frame and clothed in a fibreglass body. It had been tuned by SAH to I think to stage 4 and pulled the red line in overdrive top once or twice. This equated to somewhere around 130+ mph. Its 0 to with 60 time was 9.7 seconds which by those days standards was quick. It was a full 4 seater a decent boot and provided a lot of fun as well as daily transport until I sold to put a deposit on our first house. Happy days.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  11:17:35  Show Profile
I know its not a MMM car, it's a 1937 TA, this was grass racing (it did have another name, can't remember what) at Hatfield Technical College in the early 60's, we entered a team from Enfield Tech, great rivalry. But they did do good navigational rallies, where I cut my teeth on such events.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  11:24:44  Show Profile
Keith, thank you: sounds like a lot of fun!

Tim, I don't know what the car in question is but the picture seems to show where the bonnet badge was and it looks like a winged design or something similar. Perhaps that could provide a clue for those with more knowledge of these things than me.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Tim27

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  14:48:39  Show Profile
Hi KevinA
Almost on the ball there, it was/is a 1934 Lagonda rapier chassis the one in the pic in fact. My father sold the reg No in the early 70's, and back then the log book went as well, so no ownership records. my father took the body off and it sat in the garden as a pile of flattened aluminum panels till the early 90's when he weighed it in

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Tim27

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  14:51:27  Show Profile
Hi Brian Yes you are right I can not remember if it was a Lagonda or a rapier badge

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Tim27

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2020 :  15:08:05  Show Profile
Engine and chassis from BBB245 all brakes redone relined, rods, clevis pins and yokes, new suspension pins and bushes made and fit pics taken today

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
671 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  10:55:05  Show Profile
So Tim, what do you know of the body?
Go to Top of Page

Tim27

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2020 :  11:15:17  Show Profile
Hi Kevin Sadly not a lot I went with my father when we picked it up in the 60's and I am certain it was a full ally body including the bonnet and it was estate type rear, single door that opened sideways, it was in pale blue. My father always intend to take the body off, and after restoring the chassis drop the body from JB 5103 on to it.

I still have JB 5103 more or less in the same state as per pics

Sorry I do not have more info for you.

Tim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000