Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG NA 4 seater
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Paracetamol

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  13:50:20  Show Profile
any member near Chichester with a N type, I am considering one, I am told they are easy to get in and out and roomy inside but it would be nice to sit in one. I am quite old, stiff, and a little over weight but a tryer.

Paracetamol

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2020 :  16:50:39  Show Profile
can anyone help me as to the NA having roomy cockpit and extra large doors to get in and out, I have not seen one in the flesh
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2020 :  17:41:04  Show Profile
Hello Paracetamol
First off, welcome to this forum and potential Triple-M ownership.
Roomy is not quite the word you would choose to describe any Triple-M car, but you are right in thinking the N type (and K1 type) cars are as roomy as you will get within our range.
If you are considering a N type and you want to enter and exit as easy as possible I suggest you look at the NB over the NA. The difference being front hung doors on the NB which are a bit easier to use. I also think they look better, but that is a purely personal preference and I dare say some others will disagree. My NB 4str has served me well for twenty some years and I can recommend them for the slightly aged and not so slim owner of which, unfortunately, I am a fully paid up member these days!
I would happily let you try it for size but I'm in Yorkshire so not quite on your doorstep.
Good luck with your search.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2020 :  19:57:18  Show Profile
Terry is right in what he says, the NB with the forward mounted door hinges makes entry and exit much easier.
I note from the prewarcar.com web site that Tom Hardman limited has a very nice two tone green 4 seat NB for sale.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 15/05/2020 19:58:43
Go to Top of Page

bernard.scott

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2020 :  08:59:18  Show Profile
Dear Paracetamol,

Forgive me for going off topic. But a long shot..............

A friend of mine from Aldingbourne, near you, sold a red, Mk 2 MGA, registration 4725 PL, to a doctor, he thought, in Chichester.

I’m sorry if this is wasting your time but I wondered if it might have been you?

He would love to be reunited with the car, he is now 87, but we have had no luck tracing it. It has been off the road since 2002 according to the DVLA. The DVLA won’t divulge any information or pass on a letter to the owner.

Many thanks

Bernie Scott

Edited by - bernard.scott on 16/05/2020 09:00:41
Go to Top of Page

Paracetamol

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2020 :  16:26:00  Show Profile
thanks to you all, I thought the suicde doors would make entry easier, regarding the MGA I do not know of it bbut a friend in Birdham has a A and I will ask him and come back to you.
Go to Top of Page

bernard.scott

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2020 :  17:55:32  Show Profile
Thank you an the MGA quest. Most kind.

Bernie
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  10:37:45  Show Profile
Hello Paracetamol. I have a 4 seater NA and live at Southwick, next door to Shoreham-by-Sea. Unfortunately the car is not suitable for sitting in at the present time as the floor-boards are out and your rear-end would end up on the ground. Presumably in view of the current lock-down you are not actually thinking of finding a car to try for size immediately. If there is no tearing urgency I might be able to find a car for you to look at.

I am long retired, and a bit on the blobby size but I never had any difficulty in getting into or out of the car which I have owned since about 1968. Together (the car and me) we have done trials, hill climbs, sprints and two seasons of circuit racing - all a long time ago now.

Best wishes,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  11:10:18  Show Profile
Not wishing to contradict my learned friends above, but I find rear hinged doors easier for access, both in my M type and in the 18/80 I had.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  12:16:22  Show Profile
I do agree John, and why were they fitted that way in the first place? Surely in days before 'elf & s, because that was the most convenient arrangement?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Paracetamol

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  16:28:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

Hello Paracetamol. I have a 4 seater NA and live at Southwick, next door to Shoreham-by-Sea. Unfortunately the car is not suitable for sitting in at the present time as the floor-boards are out and your rear-end would end up on the ground. Presumably in view of the current lock-down you are not actually thinking of finding a car to try for size immediately. If there is no tearing urgency I might be able to find a car for you to look at.

I am long retired, and a bit on the blobby size but I never had any difficulty in getting into or out of the car which I have owned since about 1968. Together (the car and me) we have done trials, hill climbs, sprints and two seasons of circuit racing - all a long time ago now.

Best wishes,

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

Paracetamol

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  20:05:44  Show Profile
Pleased you are near and have NA, one I am keen on is with Barry Wilkins at Stratford, could you measure your doors from rear to front edge, top and bottomed please, if this is more than my T D I could go ahead, many thanks, Derekk
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2020 :  10:19:24  Show Profile
Sorry Derek. I can't get to the doors of my NA at present but I am sure that there are dozens of 4 seater NA owners reading this. Can anyone else provide the two measurements which Dr Kitchener has asked for, please ?

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2020 :  11:29:58  Show Profile
My NB doors (same size as NA) are 29.5" wide, 26" deep at front and 17" deep at rear.
The other important thing is to remember is that in a 4 seater the front seats are buckets and the cushion sits on a high base, so you are not sat on the floor as much as in many other Triple-M cars.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2020 :  13:14:05  Show Profile
Does "size " matter? If you want to, you can get into any car. I have a TD, TC, NA 4 seater, NB 2 seater, KN pillarless, and can enter all easily. If there is a will, there is a way. I have been in an MG M type with top up, so it can be done. Yes I too am old, 18? , 6' tall, size 12 shoes and a tad over weight, but if it starts, I can enter and drive any MG. So go for it. Bob
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2020 :  15:42:17  Show Profile
I suspect there is more to the door hingeing than meets the eye.

A review of the M type in The Motor noted that you could step directly out onto the ground, i.e. no running board step needed. Especially if wearing a "hobble" skirt, the only elegant way to enter a rear hinged door is bottom first.

However, when the C chassis was first reused for a family tourer (D type), the racing style bucket seat was low and you couldn't get your legs in under the wheel. Front hinges meant that you enter first with the left leg past the wheel, then body and other leg. although after the first 100 D's they added 2 inches to the wheelbase in the doorway making this a bit easier. The J1 (the only model marketed as a Sports 4 seater) had a cut down door, so you could leap onto the bucket seat and slide down.

But, the J2/F2 body had such a narrow scuttle that the toolbox had to go to be replaced by anti shake bars, so It may not be solid enough for front hinges. The bench seat suited the bottom first entry method anyway, so rear hinging returned.
The P and N doors don't differentiate between Bench and Bucket seat in 2 or 4 seaters.

Sometimes rear hinges are there for other reasons, such as in the Pillarless KN saloon, or to stop passengers jumping out, as in London Black Cabs.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000