Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG NA 4 seater
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2020 :  16:54:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JohnE

........................Sometimes rear hinges are there for other reasons, such as in the Pillarless KN saloon, or to stop passengers jumping out, as in London Black Cabs.
JohnE

I thought the rear hinges on Taxis was to allow the driver to open the door without getting out. the only one way street in England (as far as I know) is that leading to The Savoy in London, that is to accommodate Taxis and again so that the driver can open the door and the passenger can get out without the driver having too. But, you ask how does he shut the door without getting out, drive off and brake hard?
All old wives tales!!

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Andrew Fock

Australia
374 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2020 :  01:17:49  Show Profile
I think that the position of the hinge has nothing to do with the ease of getting in and out. The N types had significantly larger doors than all but the K1 tourers, making it substantially easier to get in and out of. However, unlike the K1, the hinges are relatively close together. I have an early NA and there is very little clearance between the bottom of the door and the running board strips... and the passenger door particularly sometimes needs to be lifted to clear them. Admittedly, the silent block buses on the subframes are probably now shot after 30 years. but the fundamental problem is that the doors are too large and heavy for the supporting wood in the B post. As was done in period here, the easiest solution is to rehang the doors from the front.

This is NA 550 which was a CKD english bodied 2 seater. The doors were rehung like this post war.

Andrew

NA 0279
PA 1294
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2020 :  17:28:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cooperman

quote:
Originally posted by JohnE

........................Sometimes rear hinges are there for other reasons, such as in the Pillarless KN saloon, or to stop passengers jumping out, as in London Black Cabs.
JohnE

That should have read

I thought the rear hinges on Taxis was to allow the driver to open the door without getting out. the only street in England where you drive on the right (as far as I know) is that leading to The Savoy in London, that is to accommodate Taxis and again so that the driver can open the door and the passenger can get out without the driver having too. But, you ask how does he shut the door without getting out, drive off and brake hard?
All old wives tales!!

John Cooper M 628

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 20/05/2020 17:29:49
Go to Top of Page

Paracetamol

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2020 :  17:43:08  Show Profile
I have bought the NA from Barry Walker, coming down on Sunday he gave me the door size which is better than my TD so should be ok for old aged body, the car was owned by the MMM treasurer who I understand restored it.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2020 :  19:48:47  Show Profile
Congratulations on your purchase of the NA, it was owned at one time by former Register Treasurer Keith Hall.

I will contact you off line.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000