Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Electrical Clock repair
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2020 :  20:05:03  Show Profile
Hi All

Does anyone know of a repairer for a 2" electric clock for MMM

Thanks

Bill

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2020 :  20:31:44  Show Profile
Did any MM cars have electric clocks?

Roger
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2020 :  15:11:32  Show Profile
I do not think Triple M cars were fitted with electric clocks?

Perhaps this an electronic clock that is a retro fit to replace the often unreliable clockwork originals?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2020 :  16:42:56  Show Profile
I think some were made years ago, I had one in the J2 which Dad must have fitted in the 90s or thereabouts in place of an oil temperature gauge which hardly ever moved except in Summer.It ran off 12V & hid behind repro hands & face. The clock broke & just sat there being correct twice a day.... I don't think they're repairable & after doing nothing for a few years, I ended up buying a ultra cheap (less than £5) round travelling clock which was all plastic & about 2" dia. I then took it apart & fettled it to fit the repro clock case, fitted the repro face to it & job done. I had to uses the travelling clock hands (but painted them white) & also had to cut the casing about to give access into the back as it takes a "pill" type battery, not 12V.
Nobody noticed & it did the job until I found an original with suitable patina & fitted that.

JH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2020 :  17:16:53  Show Profile
This is the clock you need, chaps - straight out of a MiG 29 fighter.

However being only good for Mach 3, 6G and 100,000 feet it’s right at the limit of the J2’s performance envelope.
P.S. That posting was instantaneous - thanks Nick.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 22/05/2020 17:17:28
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2020 :  20:17:30  Show Profile

.........or this Waltham clock from an unknown U.S. aircraft !

Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2020 :  12:36:02  Show Profile
Clearly once again a clear question placed on the forum has been taken out of context.

I suggest you try and find an original 2" clock at what I consider a reasonable price. Unless of course some one has a working original wind up one at a reasonable price?

Bill
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3378 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2020 :  13:45:54  Show Profile
Bill
I would try asking that question of one of the British car clubs that were fitted with an electric clock as original equipment. If my memory serves me right the Jaguar saloons and the "de-luxe" versions of Austin, Wolseley etc. might be a good place to start. The mechanical escapement type had a tiny pin on the balance wheel which was touched by a very fine contact twice every cycle of the balance wheel and worn away fairly quickly. This contact completed the circuit for the electromagnet that made the thing work. They were notoriously unreliable as well. If you google images of dashboards of cars from that era you should be able to find a make of car to start your enquiries.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2020 :  14:07:17  Show Profile
I think you are all aiming too low.
This is what I use to "clock" my P's

Go to Top of Page

Mike Linward

United Kingdom
93 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2020 :  15:01:46  Show Profile
Good Afternoon Bill,
I have used Adrian Sidwell www.autoinstruments.com for a repair to a pre-war 2" electric clock. It has been in service on the car for about a year now with no problems.
Kind regards,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2020 :  18:37:33  Show Profile

Suitably admonished, Bill !

However, in my case it is not so important to keep to original as this car is very much a special which has been historically altered over many years.

Best regards,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2020 :  18:17:11  Show Profile
Thanks Mike for repairer info.

A MMM friend Dudley has kindly given me a 2" battery clock to fill the hole in the dash, whilst the purist might turn their noises up because it is a Smiths not a Jaeger it look good.

Bill
Go to Top of Page

lyons-lewis

South Africa
277 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2020 :  08:10:57  Show Profile
The TC was fitted with an electric clock, pin-type. Clocks4classics have an electronic conversion which works like a dream.
quote:
Originally posted by William Cullen

Hi All

Does anyone know of a repairer for a 2" electric clock for MMM

Thanks

Bill

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page