Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Search M-Type Midget from the owner, Mr. F. Mann
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  07:14:15  Show Profile
Looking for M-Type Midget around 1929-1931 owner Mr. F. Mann.
Mr. F. Mann Esqre owned the M-Type Midget before buying the F-Type in 1932.
Address: 302.Barking Road E.6. East Ham, London,
Is there information about the M-Type?

Robert (F1164)

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  08:57:54  Show Profile
Robert, regrettably a multi level search of the Register's database reveals nothing about this gentleman.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2020 :  19:19:03  Show Profile
Hi Dick, thanks for the effort. I know that an answer after this long time is difficult. But maybe MG lovers can look at their old registration papers and find an owner Mr. F. Mann Esqre.
I am sending the letter from MG Service with the note as an attachment.
Thanks everyone who takes the time to look.

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  17:34:39  Show Profile
Nothing on the car I'm afraid, but Mr Mann's first name was Frank. Born 1907, died 1950, just a few weeks after his father, Charles. Charles still lived at Stondon Place at the time of his death. I can't find Frank on the 1939 Register, so he may have been in the forces; his elder brother John served in the Essex Regiment, died on active service in the Middle East in April 1945 and is buried in the CWGC cemetery in Khartoum.
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2020 :  20:34:45  Show Profile
Hello Richard! (Vitesse)
THANKS for your answer today.
Despite the fact that you did not have an addition to the M-Type Midget, I am very happy about the comments on Mr. F. Mann Esqre. and family.

I have a "general" question.
I have a copy of correspondence, of around twelve letters from MG service to Mr. F. Mann Esquire.
The documents are from July 1932 to July 1933.
These deal with repair problems, warranty, recommendations, ... for his MG Magna Tourer 4-seater F1164 bought in July 1932.
There were two addresses:
302. Barking Road E.6. East Ham, London, Great Britain and
Stondon Place, No. Brentwood, Essex. Great Britain

Mr. Frank Mann, did not pick up the car from the MG service itself, it was picked up by someone else.

My question: The title "Esquire" was already common in previous years? Frank Mann, when he was born in 1907, was a young adult man at the age of 25.

Thanks in advance for replies
Robert

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2020 :  08:41:01  Show Profile
Esquire is just a courtesy title, which was often used in formal business correspondence instead of 'Mister'. As above, if a letter was addressed 'Esquire', the letter would start 'Dear Sir'. If the letter had been addressed to 'Mr F Mann' it would have started 'Dear Mr Mann'.

But you would never see a letter addressed to 'Mr F Mann, Esq' because it's a tautology (saying the same thing twice).

Using Esquire also saves possible confusion, in that a business letter to a woman would always be addressed to 'Mrs' or 'Miss'.

The Barking Road address is only a few doors away from where the family lived in 1911. I think they may have moved in the mid-1920s, as I found a reference to a previous owner of Stondon Place going bankrupt at that time. Frank's father and brother were both estate agents according to the 1939 Register - although in 1911 Charles was a tax collector for the Inland Revenue. So it may be that Frank was already in business for himself in 1932 at number 302; today it's a kebab shop. There is a well-known chain of estate agencies called Mann & Co, but I think that's just coincidence.
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2020 :  16:41:15  Show Profile
Hello Richard, thank you for your comments. You gave me great pleasure with the other details.

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000