Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 University Motors Dealerships
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  16:54:43  Show Profile
With time on my hands I've been looking into who first supplied my cars and I've come up against a brick wall with regard to KG8516, PA 2093: a late PA that wasn't purchased until 15th June 1936.

The Registration Card and the Despatch Card state that the Main Agent was University Motors and the Dealer was Richardson & Leonard, Cowbridge Road, Cardiff. I cannot find any reference to Richardson & Leonard and the only UM dealers on Cowbridge Road in Cardiff at that time seem to have been Henry Silver & Co (403, Cowbridge Road) and Henry Silver Motors (405-7-9, Cowbridge Road): presumably the same business to all intents and purposes.

To further complicate matters the Registration Card is crossed through and what appears to be "City Motors" has been written across the card.

Does anyone know of Henry Silver, Richardson & Leonard or City Motors?

(Incidentally, the plot at 403-411 Cowbridge Road East is now the premises of Prestige Motors of Cardiff).

Any information would be gratefully received.

Brian

Edited by - Brian Watson on 06/06/2020 16:56:17

KevinA

New Zealand
677 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  22:44:37  Show Profile
This was sold at auction a while ago (not by me)

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
677 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  22:53:30  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
677 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  23:06:36  Show Profile
City Motor Co., 99/101 City Road, Cardiff. Tel. 1404. TA.  Adv. Year  30 32. Agt. MG, Morris

https://prewardealerships.wordpress.com/cardiff/

Should give you a bit to play with!

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
677 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2020 :  23:16:51  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2020 :  14:59:10  Show Profile
Kevin,

Thank you for your responses: the prewardealerships site is quite an archive.

My guess is that the car was with Richardson & Leonard (R&L) who failed to sell it so it was transferred to City Motor Co and they eventually sold it to the first owner, Norman Tegetmeier (who may have been having a mid-life crisis as he was in his fifties when he bought the car).

I'm trying to find some connection between R&L and City Motor Co or even Henry Silver. I suspect R&L were short-lived which may be why they are so difficult to find.

Thanks again.

Brian

Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2020 :  09:35:24  Show Profile
Richardson & Leonard Ltd was wound up in September 1939:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34696/page/6603

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34708/page/6884
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2020 :  11:00:59  Show Profile
Richard,

Thank you for that: it confirms my suspicions although the winding-up was some three years after the car was purchased on 15th June 1936.

Here are the documents from the chassis file which appear to show that "City Motors" superseded Richardson & Leonard and acted as the dealer:

I'll keep digging, but thanks again for your help.

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1060 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2020 :  16:15:43  Show Profile
D0495 has a similarly dealer history.
Being one of the last not so successful run of D types it was first sent to Jarvis and after a couple of months it was eventually sold through University Motors.
At first we thought we had found an other Jarvis bodied D but mine was clearly labeled as std 4 seater body.
I can only imagine the D not selling at Jarvis and then UM finding a poor sod who could not afford the new J1

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3246 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2020 :  20:00:55  Show Profile
I would expect City Motors would have purchased the remains of the wound up business and the service department would have amended the guarantee card to note this change. Although the guarantee will have run out City Motors must have been servicing the car.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Brian Watson

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2020 :  17:24:44  Show Profile
Thank you for your replies, gentlemen.

George, I think you may well be on the right lines.

The site of City Motor Co at 99-101, City Road, Cardiff is now at the beating heart of fast food land in Cardiff. What progress we've made in the last 80 years...

Brian
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000