Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 K type rod and drag link ends.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John K

New Zealand
5 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  10:37:51  Show Profile
Question for the group please. I am rebuilding a K type special based on a K1. It has the divided track steering set up. There are a total of 6 rod ends. I understand there are 2 types of rod ends. One type is 3 5/8" long and has the spring on the inner end. The other type is 3 7/8" long and has the spring on the outer end of the joint. Can anyone explain why there are 2 types and which ones go where. Has anyone had experience of a better joint end.

Thanks for any assistance John Hancock

Gerhard Maier

Germany
874 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  13:53:37  Show Profile
Here is, what the M.G. Car Company Ltd. Service Information can tell us about that question :

Service Information No. 4. Date of Issue May 1933.
DIVIDED TRACK ROD STEERINGS.
All K Type Models and the J4 Racing Model are fitted with divided
track rod steering. This takes the form of a triple steering arm
mounted on a swivel on the front axle beam and connected to the
wheels by two independent spring loaded track rods, and to the
steering gear by means of the draglink.
It is essential that anyone removing one of the divided track rods,
should see that it is replaced the correct way round.
On examining the track rod it will be found that the ball joint at one end of the rod is loaded by a coil spring, and at the other end by a coil spring washer.
The end with the double coil spring washer should be fitted to the
triple steering arm.
The end with the coil spring should be fitted to the steering knuckle
arms.
The draglink from the steering gear to the triple steering arm is fitted as standard with the long ball end at the steering gear, and the short ball end at the triple steering arm.
This could be reversed without doing any harm, but as there is no object in reversing it, the standard position should be adhered to.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  19:15:27  Show Profile
John,

You should have five track rod ends 3 5/8" long and one 3 7/8" long. The 3 7/8" one (which has the spring on the outer end of the ball fits onto the steering box end of the drag link. Just for information I do not use any springs, I use solid spacers which are shimmed so there is no free play between the cups and balls.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

John K

New Zealand
5 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2008 :  21:15:30  Show Profile
Thanks Peter & Gerhard Exactly what I wanted to know. Appreciate you reply. Regards John Hancock

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000