Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Flasher units.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2008 :  19:13:27  Show Profile
Can anyone please help?
I have a 1934 MG PA which I have just fitted with flasher indicator lights using bulb assemblies from Stafford Vehicle components.
The flasher units are NOS Lucas units FL5 12V 42w. These are not very reliable, especially the warning light which flashes intermittently, improves when indicators have been on for some time.
Can anyone suggest a solid state flasher unit?
Many thanks

Bob

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2008 :  19:42:02  Show Profile
I'm an electrical ignoramus, so would be interested in any suggestions to overcome this problem. I also fitted the SVC conversion, which I find very good in almost all respects - except that the dashboard repeater normally only flashes a couple of times and then stays off, even though the external lamps continue to flash OK.

I had assumed the problem to be a poor earth, but maybe there is another solution?

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  10:46:40  Show Profile
Hi,

I have heard of this problem before. I do not think it is a bad earth. The symptoms are as if a bulb has gone. I think you should count the number of flashes per minute. I think you will find you are flashing too fast! Most modern indicator units are expecting to have a load for 3 bulbs in circuit (front, back and side). I suggest you try some of the following.

1 Put another additional bulb in the left or right circuit and see if the indicator now works correctly.

2 Put an additional bulb or a buzzer in the indicator circuit.

If this proves to be correct you may need to put some resistance into your circuit.

Regardsà. Terry

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
990 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  16:31:51  Show Profile
When I fitted flashers years ago to my PA, I wired them through the dash lights to give me a warning repeater. I remove one of the diver's helmets during the day so that the flashing catches my eye, and put it on again at night to avoid being dazzled. With this system I use old aluminium three point flasher units that I stock up on every time I go to an autojumble - usually 50p-ú1 each, and chuck them away when they fail.

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  19:39:59  Show Profile
Bob,

Are you using twin filament bulbs? If so make certain they are the correct way round. Not all bulbs have off set pins. The flasher should be the brighter filament. If not simply turn the bulb through 180 degs.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2008 :  21:13:47  Show Profile
Can I thank everyone for their comments.
I have now had time to fully investigate the problem.
If using a electro-mechanical unit rated at 2 X 21watt, typically
Lucas. these require a load of 3.5 amps for 42watt.
MOT requires a flash rate of 60 to 120 flashes a minute
On checking the the load on the SVC units they were giving a load of 2.45amps giving a flash rate at >120 flashes a minute.
On putting another bulb in the circuit to give load of 3.5amps everything worked fine.
The solution I have come up with is to use electronic units which are not current dependent
These can be obtained from classic-car-components among other suppliers.
The only drawback with these, there is no indication of bulb failure.

Hope the helps
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2008 :  22:17:12  Show Profile
Bob,

Thanks for this. Can you please indicate which solid state flasher unit you think would work best?

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000