Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB's
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phil

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2008 :  16:58:44  Show Profile
After reading 'N Types' thread, it go me wondering how many PB's are in existence today?

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2008 :  19:53:23  Show Profile
MG PBs existing?

This information is available in:

'TRIPLE-M REGISTER - 2007.

Published by the MGCC and available from the Club or MMM Library.

All MMM owners need a copy - invaluable if looking at a potential purchase.

As to the number actually existing, as distinct from documented, this remains a 'known unknown'.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2008 :  14:41:25  Show Profile
Bob is correct (more or less). The Register database has records for 340 PBs. However, the 2008 published Triple-M Register list only contains 274 PB entries (Bob, you can buy the 2008 Register from Peter Hemmings our Librarian). That reflects the results of the recent purge of all Triple-M Register records when all those ancient entries for which there is no evidence that they still survive (one such proved to be only a guarantee plate!) were "moth-balled" and removed from the published list until such time as evidence of their re-emergence appears. The records remain on the database of course.

So, we are fairly happy that these 274 cars really are still around.

Referring to PA > PB conversions, I hardly like to argue with the Allison family, but the Register records show that 27 PAs were converted to PB specification and given PB chassis numbers by the factory. Anyone interested in the actual chassis numbers can e-mail me for a list (100570.2213@compuserve.com).

It is probable that if the N Type records had survived, they would have listed the "official" conversions of unsold NA stock to NB specification, but we'll never know for sure.

Bob Clare
Registrar
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2008 :  15:28:36  Show Profile

That said, the answer to the original question remains a 'known unknown' in that the quantity of PB models surviving cannot be known - all that is known is the number of safely documented survivors.

There may yet be a barn to be found containing dozens, unseen since the 'forties.

We are lucky in having a rigorous Register : some rival makes are said to have more 'survivors' than were originally made.

The real question is whether the Register should have a 'Seal of Approval' added to show that a car has been physically checked. A recent 'M' Type examination revealed a major discrepancy, as shown under 'M-Type for sale', but whether my own PA, PA 0603 / APP 186 has had its numbers examined, other than by me, I know not.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2008 :  00:34:35  Show Profile
Bob (and anyone else who has similar concerns about authenticity),

First may I draw your attention to page I of the pre-amble to the published Register list? As it says, we accept the information we're given in good faith.

We don't have the resources to examine and authenticate every Register entry. Those resources would include not only expert man-power but also a considerable sum of money for liability cover.

Anyone who has doubts about the identity and/or authenticity of the serial number stamps on the components of their cars or, more importantly, the cars they're thinking of buying, are very welcome to (and often do) send me photos of the chassis, engine, back axle and body serial number stamps. We have a reasonable archive of both genuine originals of these and various forgeries (sorry - reproductions!!).

The Triple-M Register committee is also ready to consider MG Car Club members' problems in this area as we also state in the pre-amble (page VIII).

I hope that's helpful. Caveat Emptor is however our ever-present advice.

Bob Clare
Registrar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000