Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Steering wheel tape, leather strip?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Otto

Germany
63 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  09:14:02  Show Profile
Hi,

sometimes I can see steering wheels with a complete or partial tape. I would like to know if these tapes are made of leather strips or of which other material. Does anybody knows this and has an address where I can get it?

Many thanks and regards!

Wolfgang

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  08:55:32  Show Profile
Otto

I have only come across tape on steering wheels to cover up either damage or repairs.

I think before the war they used to wrap the steering wheels in the hope of adding strength (although in reality it was probably to hide damage and repairs too).

The most commonly used is a waxed cord - this is tightly wrapped around the wheel circumference.

Leather is sometimes used (I guess because of percieved thought that it might look more genuine).

Black tape - is usually insulating tape!

I was always told - "beware covered wheels - you dont know what they hide until the covering is removed!"

Most MG's were fitted with either the black standard steering wheel - this was covered in a black shellack (I know that is spelt wrong).
Also available was the Blumels Brooklands (made the car go faster I think)sprung steering wheel.
The base material was I think Bakerlite (early form of plastic) - the Bluemels is thinner in profile and in my opinion is a nicer steering feel but this is more likely that it is more what I am used to.

There were many other after market steering wheels (no MOMO and Motalita are not among them) available both pre and post war.
Many of these do have a cover - the pre-war ones are normally wound with cord and the post war ones taped.
Again the advice is always remove the covering and replace it - the covering can hide potentially awfull repairs.

Hope this helps
Regards David
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  11:59:37  Show Profile
David, You are quite right when you say that some prewar competition (ie racing) car steering wheels were bound with (waxed?) cord. Apparently this was necessary (though probably not with MG's) in order to effectively maintain control over some of these "monsters". I think that I read once that without gloves the violent steering wheel reaction (on the GP Mercedes and Auto Unions in particular) would quickly rip the skin off the driver's hands!
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  12:19:30  Show Profile
That was sort of true - but probably an appocrafull (spelt wrong again no doubt) tale - to hide the real reason I gave which is to cover up damage to the wheel.

Pre-war Grand Prix were so long that the skin was normally pulled of the drivers hands anyway - the corded wheel would have made this worse!

Modern GP drivers still get blistered hands today and the races are not only shorter but they wear thick gloves.

The only other reason for cording the wheel would be to increse the thickness of the wheel rim to allow a driver more purchase on the wheel.

I would not recommend taping or covring the wheel though.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2008 :  22:18:49  Show Profile
I too have seen taped steering wheels, but I always assumed it was the kind of cloth tape that they used on bicycle drop handle bars - don't know if you can still get it though.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  00:38:19  Show Profile
I have done a careful check of the covering of my factory original 4-spoke (not Blumels) wheel. The covering was not shellac, but rather was black acetate. This is not difficult to repair if it starts to crack off. Soaking the pieces in acetone will reduce the material to a thick goo which can actually be brushed or even sprayed back on the wheel.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  10:07:57  Show Profile
Lew - Thanks for that on the black steering wheels - I seem to remember another post of you telling how to carry out the repairs.

Ian - you can still get cloth handlebar tape from most good cycle stores.

Go to Top of Page

mike armstrong

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2008 :  17:53:40  Show Profile
Tape for tennis racquet handles looks quite good also and there are differing colours easily applied.Mike
Go to Top of Page

Otto

Germany
63 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  10:32:11  Show Profile
Hi everybody!

Many thanks to all those who have replied to my question.
Also my thanks for all these informations and advices. A special "Thank you" goes to Bruce for sending so nice pictures!

Regards
Wolfgang
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000