Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 steering coloumns
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  17:24:21  Show Profile
Dear All,
I have 2 Marles Weller coloumns, one is 46" long the other 44 3/8" Measurement of the outer coloumn from steering wheel end to box. I presume the longer one which I think I salvaged from a PA circa 1967 is a PA one and the shorter is from a J Type. Can anyone confirm my suspicion. What I really need is a Bishop Cam as mine rebuild is a PB ! The "J one" is in excellent condition the PA rather wobbly. Anybody with a bishop cam for sale ? As it happens I also have an Adamant colounm that I believe was from a Hornet Special if this is of interest to anybody

PB AYG 170 : PB 0527

Robin

Roel Harryvan

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  19:13:42  Show Profile
Robin,
on www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C28760 is a stering column from a Pb for sale.

Roel.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Hudson

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  20:48:02  Show Profile
Hi Robin
I am rebuilding a PB and fitting an Adamant steering column which is a much better steering box than the Bishop Cam or Marles Weller units. As you have one from a Hornet I suggest you get that rebushed and if necessary lengthened and use it. If it has the earlier tapered
wheel mounting it is easy to get a new top piece made to take the parallel P type wheel(if you need to lengthen the column the extension can be made to include the new wheel mounting). The measurement from the steering box mounting bolt to the bottom of the steering wheel is about 56" to give about 5" clearance between steering wheel and dashboard. I have a sketch of the new top piece
if you are interested.
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  21:16:38  Show Profile
Dear Bob,
Thanks I have emailed you but have just been to look at the adamant column to see if it all fits and find that it fouls the chassis ... have you modified the chassis in some way ?

robin
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  06:49:02  Show Profile
I have a spare P-type Bishop Cam box. Email me off line and I'll let you have some details. Rocker shaft needs re-bushing but otherwise good. Just taken it off my everyday car having overhauled the (previously) spare 'box.

The chassis mounting brackets are different for all 3 types of box. If yours is PB it will have the B-Cam mtg. (unless someone has been meddling).
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  10:33:15  Show Profile
As Bob says the Adamant box is very good. Several of the Triple-M competition types use these on their cars. I have one ready yo fit on to my P type. BUT BEWARE (some if not all?)the Wolseley ones steer in the opposite direction!!!! Barry Foster overhauls these and can convert for you.
regards....Terry

Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2008 :  18:21:18  Show Profile
my thanks to all those who have replied, thanks to Roel I now have a BC column .... thanks to kimber I now understand (I think) why it wont fit !!!! The mounting in my PB must have been from a PA with a Marles Weller Box, quite possible as in the early 60's my brother and I had a PA that was written off so I might have changed it then ! So can anyone provide me with details of the differences between the bishop cam mounting and the marles weller mounting
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000