Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG J2 Radiator Core Supplier USA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brit_Stuff

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2020 :  00:23:33  Show Profile
I recently took my 1932 MG J2 radiator to my local rad guy to have it flushed. Unfortunately the core is apparently not in the best of shape and needs to be replaced.

I note multiple relevant posts on this forum that suggest either a modern style replacement core, (which my rad guy can have made up at reasonable cost) or something that mimics the original "honeycomb" style. Unfortunately it appears that the original type cores are prohibitively expensive and come from England.

Has anyone come across a reasonably priced core that at least looks like a "honeycomb", perhaps made in the USA, (I live in Vermont)?

I would like to keep the original look if possible.

Thank you

Kind Regards,

James

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2020 :  21:51:40  Show Profile
James,

I find honeycomb cores to be crazy expensive here in the USA. You would do much better to have Jamie send one from Sports & Vintage if your local can do the installation.

tommm in sunny Ohio
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2020 :  15:56:41  Show Profile
James,
Perhaps I can convince you to become a member of the North American Triple-M Register. You may find all the details at www.nammmr.org/join

Cheers,
Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2020 :  15:59:04  Show Profile
Also, does anyone know of a source for the M-type radiator core? After 60 some years sitting, I'm sure it will need to be replaced. S&V don't list one for the M.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2020 :  16:48:41  Show Profile
Hello James,
Just picking up on Lew’s message, the NAMMMR is a freestanding entity but it is affiliated to the main MGCC here in the UK. So by joining it you become part of the family twice over!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 31/07/2020 16:50:26
Go to Top of Page

Brit_Stuff

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  02:20:43  Show Profile
Thank you for your replies. It appears there is no magic solution. Oh well, I will have to breath deeply and pay up!

Cheers,

James
Go to Top of Page

wct

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2020 :  18:20:46  Show Profile
James,
There is a radiator shop in Paso Robles, California who makes great claims for replacement or restoration of all types radiator cores including honey comb. I can not testify as to their reputation or quality; expensive I am sure! https://thebrassworks.net/

Another shop is in Australia. They specialize in honey comb radiators having bought and restored such manufacturing equipment long in storage. Again, I have no experience with them but great two part video on the process of manufacture on their website: https://www.ftrs.com.au/ . Same videos are on YouTube (~20 minute run time): https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=honeycomb+radiators+australia .

A few years ago I recall a J2 radiator was ~$700 Au. I think they would like to have the upper and lower tanks sent to them for assembly. I recall they have most MG measurements to build a core for your local shop to assemble. Shipping cost is a consideration too.

All the Best to you on this project

J2 3343
San Jose, California ... Chassis completed 2015 and now ready for body finishing...after 52 years of saying 'next year for sure'.

Bill Traill
Go to Top of Page

Brit_Stuff

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2020 :  14:02:23  Show Profile
Hi Bill:

Thank you for your suggestions.

I am fortunate to have an excellent local radiator shop, (they re-cored my MG MGC radiator a few years ago). I have decided to have them install a modern (non honeycomb) core, (top and bottom tanks are still good) at 1/4 of the price of the honeycomb type. Yes, I would like to keep the car as original as possible, so it is a decision made with a heavy heart. However, at least this way I will be able to afford to put her back on the road and can always change to a honeycomb core in the future as funds allow.

Kind Regards,

James
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2020 :  18:41:13  Show Profile
James
I did exactly what you’re thinking of and had my honeycomb core replaced by a modern core saving quite a bit of money and very difficult to see the difference .
But I’ve also had successful dealings with the brassworks In California referenced above for an old fiat I own . The radiator was tapered and very complicated . They did a great job but it wasn’t cheap .
I would be interested in finding out more however about when Tom M was talking about and having SV send you a core to have installed . SV does a top notch job so I’m curious where that would stand cost wise.
Stay safe
Dan
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2020 :  18:53:28  Show Profile
My (ex) PB Airline inherited the core from my then project PA, so the PA needed a new honeycomb core. I had the top and bottom tanks, but just needed the core. I ordered one from S&V. With shipping it came to close to US $1000. That was in 2012. Another $200 or so for the radiator shop to put Humpty Dumpty together again. I traded for the false front core so no cost there.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000