Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 From New Member - What about the 'F' word?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jpc_bate

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2008 :  22:22:59  Show Profile
I have been studying the many technical details on this forum - all very useful. But nowhere does it mention how much 'FUN' it is to drive such a car. I have only just got mine and have just spent a wonderful day thrashing it (gently) through the Yorkshire Dales. 6 cylinders, supercharger, pre-selector (is this the best invention ever or what - why doesn't my everyday car have one?)The freedom, the noise, the smell, the speed etc etc. The car didn't miss a beat all day - caught me out on one or two tight corners tho..... My everyday car is a well known German sports car and it is probably the most perfect car I have ever driven. Its boring and very disappointing - no fun at all. I am truly smitten with my MG - doing a Hill Climb in 2 weeks...we will see. PS. My only concern is the lack of good suitable engineers being trained nowadays - who will look after these cars in twenty years time?

jpc

RYates

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  03:52:20  Show Profile
For those of us severely lacking in the eye - ear - hand coordination necessary to master the technique (art really) of smoothly changing down (or up)with a "crash" g'box - - YES, the preselector box IS the greatest invention ever. Followed closely by the supercharger. And you have nailed it all in one go - the sight, sound, smell and feel of our cars does indeed produce a magical experience. And then there is the "multiplier effect" when traveling with a pack of similar machines and their owners

Reed Yates.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  10:09:24  Show Profile

My first car was PA 0627 in 1961 and I bought PA 0603 with my 'lump sum' when I retired from full-time work.

A PA is, emphatically, just as much fun now as then, with the proviso that it perhaps isn't given as much stick, not through age, but through the knowledge that the spares and repairs available then are no longer there.

I used to own Porsche and BMW 'sports' cars - terrible image problem - but would guess that, given the sort of major mods present on some MMM cars, they would be more exciting.

My present Golf 1.8T goes well enough and does more to the gallon than the PA, but exciting it isn't. The household MX-5 6-speed is, though, a real antidote to boredom.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  12:38:24  Show Profile
I am lucky enough to own a porker, best car in the world Fun you bet it is. On the whole I would say you could not buy a better morden driving experience. If you really want to have fun do a track day or two then say its boring. However my blown PA ( with preselecter G-B) is also fun with a capital F does half the MPG of the porker takes a mile to stop and as much as I love wanging it round the Norfolk lanes which I do at every oppertunity I would not like to have a comming togeather with anything. I have to agree the smell the noise and the feel is great, but don't try to compare what has to be one of the greatest of modern cars with one of 70 years ago. Both great cars but very different. Try drifting a Porsch at 150mph through a long right hander and see if that gets you red blood pumping! I have albeit with Tiff Needel at the wheel, ( only managed about 120 with me driving).

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  15:47:06  Show Profile
I agree with all of the sentiments so far - but Rodney in particular makes the best point.

MMM cars should be judged against cars of their time and as such they are brilliant!

I also agree though that some modern cars are too perfect in everyday use - but take them to anywhere near the limit and they become just as much fun as the pre-war example - however you can have the fun in the pre-war car inside of the law because they are nowhere near as fast.

A blown 6 cylinder MG was the Subaru Impreza - Mitsibishi EVO of its day - as a kid I can remmember many journies with my Dad and feeling like the fastest thing on 4 wheels (even when I started driving it in the early 80's the car was no slouch) but today and well driven Nissan Micra can drive rings around the old car because of better brakes and road holding.

Nothng compares to the fun of a crisp early morning drive with the sun on your back and the wind in your hair.
It is just a shame that other road users are not so understanding of the cars lack of brakes and suspension which make a pot hole feel like Cheddar Gorge and blasted speed bumps like the Hymilayas.

There is a slight observation though on the speed bump issue - locally they have made them smaller - three bumps set across the road - this is enough space to clear a MMM car through without passing ver the main peak!

Heres to many more MMM miles in 2009 - remember than when passing under motorway bridges and railway bridges it is always nice to lift off the throttle before entry then accelarate through the echo - Childish isnt it?

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  19:04:11  Show Profile
What model is the FUN MG?

My blown NB has a PB crash gearbox which I enjoy especially when changing down from 3rd to second without a crashing of gears.

I am rebuilding my L2 with an ENV75 - have never used one but am greatly looking foward to driving the car which will also be supercharged. A poor man's K3!!

I also drive a German made modern, great performance and great reliability.

George
Go to Top of Page

jpc_bate

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  19:16:32  Show Profile
Rodney - still disagree with you re Porsche. They are too good to be exciting. Just been in a ú180,000 Ferrari - its incredibly poorly put together, rough around the edges but was fun. Last week I got back from 4 days hill climbing on the closed roads of the TT course on the Isle of Man with my GT40. Now that gets the blood pumping. I wasn't trying to compare a MMM and a modern car. I was simply trying to say that as a new member, noboby ever told me what a fantastic driving experience such a car can be. If only it didn't step out on corners when ever I hit a bump. I think it will be better when I have fitted the full adjustable Koni's suspension.......

jpc
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  20:47:31  Show Profile
Ha. Ha. John very drol, but I do like you!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  21:00:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jpc_bate

I think it will be better when I have fitted the full adjustable Koni's suspension.......

jpc

You don't say things like that on this forum. Even when you are joking.

MMMs are fantastic fun. If I ever get downhearted I go for a run in my PA and life once again is great. But sometimes people take MMMs seriously. so take care.

I cannot comment on Ferraris nor Porsches as I drive a (hush, hush) Mondeo to get from A to B. Very efficient and does the job very well. So I drive the two extremes. Efficiency / FUN.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2008 :  21:04:45  Show Profile
I have a bit more to say on the subject, then I will sut up, David made a point mentioning the mitsi evo and the impreza in a way I put Porsche in the same bracket.
Like in the late 20's and early 30's you had super cars Bugatti Bentley and my fav the low chasses Invicta which only the super rich could aford not only to buy but to run, then you had the MG's which Mr average could afford to buy and run, So today you have the Super cars that rock stars and capitains of industry can afford to buy and run like your Ferrari's and Lambo's then you have the supercars that Mr Avarage can buy and more importantly afford to Run.
Try servicing a Ferrari for under ú400!
Rodney. I won't say another word. David I look forward to meeting you some time,
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000