Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 odometer cable fixing (PA)
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  10:23:32  Show Profile
Installing the odometer (Rhombic shaped centre dash panel) on a PA where and how I've to fix the cable to the gearbox/engine?
Thanks in advance
Francesco
MG PA 1121 (Italy)

Edited by - morisani on 09/05/2008 14:21:50

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  14:30:59  Show Profile
Francesco

The cable fits to the gearbox - there should be a speedo drive off-take on the rear casing.
There is a cutaway on the transmission tunnel (right hand drivers side) and a threaded brass fitting to suit the drive cable.

On PA the engine drives a Rev counter which is also calibrated inside the revcounter markings with road speed in 3rd and top gear.
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  15:01:58  Show Profile
Hi David,
Thanks a lot for your kind and prompt answer. It was - may be - a simple question, but not for me. The possibility of counting on the Triple-M Register member's help is very confortable.
Best regards
Francesco (Italy)
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scully

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  12:51:05  Show Profile
David

Is it to this gearbox take off point that the right angle drive previous topic have refered to fits, to which the cable then attaches, or can one attach the cable direct to the take off point?
Regards,
Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  21:14:02  Show Profile
Peter

The angle drive does indeed fit directly to the gearbox take off drive. However, it is also possible to fit the cable directly to the gearbox.

Has anybody manufactured the angle drive? Rodney Lambert was looking into this but I have not heard anything further. I have an original but like all of them the casing is made of Merzak? and it has cracked etc.

George.
Go to Top of Page

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  04:37:30  Show Profile
George, I got an angle drive from Speedograph Richfield a few years back for my NA.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scully

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  13:01:15  Show Profile
George
Thanks for clarifying this. There was talk on the forum some months ago about remanufacturing this part, but nothing seems to have come of it. I think that there would be a good demand, judging from the previous correspondence. I'd certainly be interested in one.
Regards,
Peter
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  17:20:22  Show Profile
Gents I think we are going Off Topic here?
The angle drives are as far as I know only fitted to the pre-selector boxes - standard P types have the cable straight into the gearbox fitting?

I have seen angle drives on the T types but every crash boxed MMM car I have seen has NOT been fitted with an angle drive for the speedo - could be wrong (have been many time before).
just dont want to confuse this chap with information on angle drive - if his car does not and is not meant to have one.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  18:00:09  Show Profile
David, my PA had an original right angle drive made of "junk metal" that had all kinds of cracks. Got a replacement from S&V in brass (his last one) which may not have been original, but has worked perfectly.
In following your coments in this forum, I am continually impressed with your knowledge and good sense recomendations. Send my regards to your parents. Tell your father I will never forget the ride he gave me in the N type at outrageous speeds down a single track road where I could touch the hedges on either side and there was two way traffic! That ride did however lead to my acquiring a PA because I thought there wasa nothing better than a MMM car.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2008 :  19:39:08  Show Profile
David,

I am afraid that you are not correct in saying that only pre-selector gearboxes had angle drives. P type and N type gearboxes were fitted with right angle drives.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

farley1

Canada
152 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2008 :  03:02:32  Show Profile
Evening to all discussing the right angle drive.
A previous topic replied to the orginal housings being of a "MuckMetal". I agree. I feel there are three reasons why mine failed. Aged metal, lack of oiling and the little driveshaft screws/slot exploding on the short drivepin which connects gearbox to angle drive.
I reused all the internals and reassembled to appear like the original in a new T6 billet aluminum housing. Photos available.

Ian M
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2008 :  13:32:34  Show Profile
Peter - many thanks for the correction.

Another hole in my (admittedly sketchy MMM knowlege) papered over - a little knowlege is a bad thing.
But most of the P types I have any contact with have not had this angle drive fitted (although this was a long time ago now) - I guess it allows the carpet to sit flatter over the gearbox?

Peter this guy is based in Italy and is after some information with regards the speedo drive - perhaps you could give him a call?

I like the idea of pulling the original S--- Metal casting to pieces and making a new drive casing from better metal.

Another case of the car lasting longer than its built in obsolesence?

Regards David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000