Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Oil leak
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  09:47:36  Show Profile
I'm hoping someone can help with this problem. I have quite a lot of oil leaking from the dstributor hole on my M engine; this is not something I have encountered before. I presume there is too much oil collecting in the front housing and it's being thrown up by the gears inside. Is it possible to fit some kind of seal? It isn't so bad that I have to keep checking the oil level but it is bad enough to make a real mess underneath.
Thanks
Ian

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  11:23:09  Show Profile
Ian, Some modern cars have a "O" ring in the mounting sleeve to overcome this problem. It is not a common problem but certainly not unknown. I wonder if you have excessive crankcase pressure?
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  12:25:29  Show Profile
Barry, that was a quick response! I will get an O ring which presumably fits in the groove in the barrel part? It might well be excessive pressure causing it. My crankcase is fully sealed, with a pipe going from the oil filler to just behind the piston of the carb. This normally works ok, but for the past month I have been using the car to get to work - a round trip of 44 miles - and there are some punishing hills on the route where perhaps the carb doesn't get the chance to suck the air out. Would crankcase pressure be enough to stop the oil getting from the front housing to the sump?

Ian
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2008 :  11:25:34  Show Profile
Ian, I doubt whether excessive crankcase pressure would prevent oil getting into your front housing, it ususally only manifests itself by way of oil "leaks" such as yours. My M-type "breathes" through the filler cap, I think, there are no breathers on the tappet cover if I recall.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000