Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA/B Drivers Side Side screen
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  11:07:51  Show Profile
I am at the moment making up dummy sidecsreens for my PB and have received plenty of info from Bruce Sutherland and Dick Morbey on the subject.

I have a copy of the details published by the Dutch MMM Group and most of it makes sense, give or take a few millimeters.

The area that I find a bit vague are the dimentions of the "Flap", I have the steel former however, I do not think that it is the correct shape/dimentions.

I would appreciate it if someone could supply a good photo of an original sidescreen that shows how the steel arm flap is tailored into the fabric of the sidescree.

I am trying to get these details sorted so that I can make sure that my trimmer has a good pattern to work from.

Thanks to all

Russ
PB0333

DSW

Germany
95 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  15:38:22  Show Profile
Hoping I understand you correctly, the flap is just fixed by a thick seam. I have included a picture of my original (?, well it was ancient in 1980). Looks almost like the factory photo prototype one.

Hope this helps
David
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2546 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  20:50:08  Show Profile
Russ, mine is very similar to David's although I'm intrigued to see what appear to be a pair of Lift-the-Dot studs on the trailing edge. They clearly attach the infill panel which seems rather a sensible idea.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  21:08:12  Show Profile
Dave,
Do your infill panels have the locating strip for the side screen on the inside leading edge of the panel? I find that with that strip, and the infill panel properly tensioned between the Lift The Dot fasteners at each corner, the join between side screen and panel is pretty weatherproof.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  11:11:30  Show Profile
Thanks for your reply's.

Can I assume that the metal frame fills the aperture with some further fabric protruding to make an overlap seal.

To me at the moment it looks like the frame fits the "Hole" exactly?.

If possible a photo with the flap slightly open would help.

I do appreciate the help being extended over what appears at first to be trivia.

Regards to All and Keep safe

Russ
PB0333
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  12:03:48  Show Profile
Hi Russ,

My sidescreens were untouched when I bought the PA in 1989, and I had them recovered pretty much the way they were before, at that time. Since then driver's sidescreen has remained mostly in the garage attic until I just dug it out, so I apologise for the state of it. I've tried to show how the flap works in the attached photos, which I hope will help you. There is a definite overlap.

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

DSW

Germany
95 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2020 :  20:28:21  Show Profile
Interesting that Colin's photos look just like mine except for the lift-the dots. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the sidescreen use as I had the hood redone in one piece, just straight down to behind the door without separate infill strips, and actually never had the sidescreens recovered since I never use them - my elbow is always outside and with the hood raised it is claustrophobic enough anyway.
In normal rain it seems dry enough inside so I find that just wearing a waterproof jacket is adequate.
The lift-the-dots should be easy to add later if required, and there is an overlap with the hood all around to do this.
I also find the wind lifts the hood off the screen, so it is never perfectly dry inside. I even remember being hit on the head by an entering hail stone once!

David
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  09:50:09  Show Profile
Some years ago I was about to throw out an old waterproof jacket when I realise that the right hand sleeve was still in good condition. So, I cut it off from the rest of the jacket, leaving the collar and collar snap stud attached. Now when driving in the rain, I simply fit my waterproof sleeve, and it keeps my elbow dry. That's why the sidescreen has stayed in the garage attic all these years.

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  12:08:54  Show Profile
Thanks to all for your information and photo's, I have almost finished my dummy sidescreen will post photo later, will welcome comments.

Watch this space.

Russ
PB0333
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2546 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  12:37:13  Show Profile
Russ, I've just had a look at my screen. I'm not quite sure what you mean by a steel former, but the flap on my screen appears to be of some sort of fibre board and is flexible.

Simon, yes, I have the locating strip and it seems to work very well. I merely felt that David's screen looks very original and has these studs which, as they hold the panel behind the trailing edge of the side screen, would probably work very well. I wonder if these were a later idea than the locating strip which perhaps was a J2 arrangement?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  13:01:25  Show Profile
Dave,
I don’t think I’ve ever seen any pictures showing Lift The Dot fasteners on the trailing edge of the side screen. I’d have thought them unlikely for two reasons: first, I think it would be difficult to open the door if the side screen was attached to the infill panel and it would be just about impossible to fasten and unfasten them with the door closed; and second, if they could be made to work, then I think Durable Dot fasteners would have been used, as are used along the rear edge of the infill panel, as there’d be no need for the security offered by the Lift The Dot and the Durable Dot would be much easier to fasten and unfasten.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Horst Wendling

Germany
464 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  16:27:54  Show Profile
Here are mine. Made as lasercut on behalf of Bruce Sutherland's drawings
Car with brand new hood and sidescreens now..

Horst
PA492
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2546 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  20:50:33  Show Profile
I'm sure you're right Simon and I also have never seen them before. The fact remains that David's screen does look very possibly to be original, and the studs look as though they've been there for the whole of its life.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1570 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2020 :  21:38:35  Show Profile
Hi Horst,
After following my side-screen frame drawings, how/where would you improve them?
Is the driver's side horizontal bar for the hand signal flap too high?
Did you follow my note on the drawing about the forward 'A' Post part of the frame to be changed to match your windscreen pillar section?
Kind regards, Bruce.
quote:
Originally posted by Horst Wendling

Here are mine. Made as lasercut on behalf of Bruce Sutherland's drawings
Car with brand new hood and side-screens now..

Horst
PA492

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

farley1

Canada
152 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2020 :  02:31:21  Show Profile
I do like how Horst moved the wing screw to the peak of the door at the front. Did that stiffened up the side screen when in place Horst?
My side screens are the same as David's and Colin's. Aluminum rivets hold the 1/2 round bars to the frame.

Ian M
PB0474
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2020 :  09:47:09  Show Profile
Hi Dave

In answer to your comment re my wire former.

In my spares box I have this 5mm frame that is roughly the shape of the arm flap and according to the drawings from the Dutch MMM site it is stitched into the flap to stiffen the the flap, I assume that this is an original method of stiffening. My TD has a similer arrangement.

I am just finishing off my Dummy sidescreen and will try to illustrate how I have utilised the wire former.

Hopefully will post pictures later today.

Thanks for your input, all comments are helping me arrive at a design.

Russ
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000