Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Needle valves
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Amilcar John

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  11:25:14  Show Profile
I was informed by Burlen that viton is also attacked by fuel additives -which may explain the flooding I experienced.

John
Go to Top of Page

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  13:13:05  Show Profile
I had thought that might well be the case.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  19:53:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle

I have an 1 7/8 inch carb on my blown NB. Normally there is no problem with flooding, the exception is if the car has been standing for some time and most/all fuel will have evaporated from the bowl. If I then switch on the fuel pump the force of the fuel entering the bowl can tilt the float causing it to jam. The solution is to turn the pump and and off a couple of times.

If used regularl there is no problem.

George

Well my question has initiated a very interesting thread. Lots of ideas to help me solve the flooding float bowl. The float bowl was empty when I experienced the flooding. So I am coming to the conclusion that the problem was as George described above (and as suggested by David earlier). It is not logical that a new valve fails to work when an old worn one does. (I had checked the new valve by sucking on it). So the float sticking on the central shaft does seem like the most likely problem. Will make some more checks.

Thanks to all contributors to this debate.

Peter

PS Good to see that the forum has been very active whilst I have been on holiday for a week.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2008 :  23:15:15  Show Profile
In view of the above comments I have just removed the Viton tipped needle valves from my carbs and they are in as new condition. They have been in there for about 8 years using unleaded fuel and an additive. Maybe some types of additives are more likely to attack the Viton than others.

TH
Go to Top of Page

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  04:46:05  Show Profile
I may be preaching to the choir here, but I have experienced stuck floats also...especially on my SA....it was not the needle but on some float bowl levers there is a center tang that must be bent to keep the float from falling too far into the bowl. If it does, it can jam and cause flooding. This subject has been covered well on the TD/TF list. I favor the viton tips and have had no problem with them inspite of our awful petrol concoctions here in the USA. Also re the Gross jets. Some folks swear by them but I have had them stick open and stick shut....so I won't use them. Our petrol turns to varnish in only about 3 months, so the use of and additive to prevent this is mandatory here on cars seldom used. I use Sta-Bil but don't know if its available in UK.
Hoping to meet lots of you at Silverstone.
Terry in Oakland California
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  17:43:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by taterry

I may be preaching to the choir here, but I have experienced stuck floats also...especially on my SA....it was not the needle but on some float bowl levers there is a center tang that must be bent to keep the float from falling too far into the bowl. If it does, it can jam and cause flooding. This subject has been covered well on the TD/TF list. I favor the viton tips and have had no problem with them inspite of our awful petrol concoctions here in the USA. Also re the Gross jets. Some folks swear by them but I have had them stick open and stick shut....so I won't use them. Our petrol turns to varnish in only about 3 months, so the use of and additive to prevent this is mandatory here on cars seldom used. I use Sta-Bil but don't know if its available in UK.
Hoping to meet lots of you at Silverstone.
Terry in Oakland California

Terry

Took the lid off the front float bowl this afternoon and found that the forks could drop too far which allowed the valve to jam. The metal between the fork pivots was bowed rather than flat. After straightening, the forks do not drop too far. So I refitted the new valve and all is well. I also checked the rear float bowl, which seemed to be OK but was rather close to jamming so I did a bit more metal straightening just to make certain.

Once again thanks to all contributors, Peter

PS Will look out for you at Silverstone on the Saturday.

Edited by - Peter Scott on 01/06/2008 17:45:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000