Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Doreen Evans MG J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2020 :  19:46:39  Show Profile
I have, for a very long time now, been trying to complete the Doreen Evans MG J2 with the owner, to precise originality as used by Miss Evans in 1933/4.
It is now 100% complete except for the seventh badge fited at the back of the front apron in front of the radiator.
Perhaps someone can help. Has anyone out there got a really clear picture of AGY 339 in 1933/4 from the front whilst still in Doreen's hands. We do have one photo, but it is just not clear enough to make out this final badge.
The badge has a large 'star' in the centre, so we thought it was the RACA "Womens Automobile & Sports Association" badge , but it ISN'T.
A good photo will give us the answer.
We are in contact with the National Motor Museum Library,and the MMM library, but perhaps a club member can come up with the elusive photo that nobody else has.
Reply here, or to barry@barrywalker.com
Many thanks indeed, Barry Walker.

Geoff.Broadhead

New Zealand
27 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2020 :  05:33:10  Show Profile
Barry - it may be worthwhile looking at some of the photos of her N Type - BLL 492 (NA 0634) - that too was festooned in badges on the front - perhaps the same badges? Guess it was the 'in' thing those days?

There is quite a good picture I found from a web search, of her driving her N Type, taken front on, on the SUBBAC Rally in 1935 with lots of badges displayed.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2020 :  17:08:44  Show Profile
Try the VSCC library, they are very helpful even if you are not a member
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2020 :  21:15:14  Show Profile
Thanks guys, I appreciate those leads. I will look at every avenuue.
Oliver Richardson and his very retentive memory of MG history, suggested the Brooklands Society who hold the Evans family albums (something I did not know) so between all of these suggestions we should come up with the answer.
I'll reprt back once we have the answer with a picture of the finished car.

Thanks, BW .
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2020 :  22:13:23  Show Profile
This one’s from the Brooklands Society Archive. I’m guessing that with the Society disbanded, their archive material moved to the museum? Perhaps they can supply a higher res copy for a better look. Or you could try Tony Hutchings still, the Society’s most helpful archivist? Having said all that, I’m sure you’ve already explored this well known pic?!

Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
672 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2020 :  03:41:08  Show Profile
Is it the badge in the centre?

It looks like rally routes converging, Monte Carlo style.

Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2020 :  19:47:03  Show Profile
Hi Cat /Kevin & all.

Yes it's that odd badge at the back of the apron, right at the bottom of the radiator. It's a strange shape. Could be Rally Routes converging. Looks like a 'star' but I doubt it is .

That photo you offered Kevin is the clearest I've seen yet. I'll be onto Tony Hutchings next week, thanks Cat. I'm hoping he will have a higher res. photo , that will surely throw more light on it.
It would be great to get this final touch to a simply magnificent rebuild by Urs Langen, a great friend & customer of mine, who (typically Swiss) does some of the finest MG work I've ever seen.
I shall report back.
Thank you, Barry W.
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2020 :  20:05:23  Show Profile
Bet o Bryan Ditchman knows what it is p
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
672 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2020 :  00:03:20  Show Profile
For completeness this is "my" photo but I don't have a better copy of it

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2020 :  09:50:26  Show Profile
Bryan D doesn't "do" websites or forums (that should be fora, but it doesn't look right !), so I am sending him a print-out by snailmail. I will let you know his response, but it might take a week or three.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2020 :  18:32:27  Show Profile
Don't suppose that the emblem on the elusive badge might be a palm tree?? Just a guess...!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2020 :  08:23:23  Show Profile
I agree, Dick. A palm tree superimposed on the silhouette of an inverted oak tree. Does this suggest a particular event or club linking somewhere British with somewhere exotic?

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2020 :  11:39:51  Show Profile
Yes Malcolm, good thinking. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that this is probably not a 'motor club' badge, but something given or awarded to Doreen & perhaps other competitors on an overseas rally.
In which case it will be very difficult to find.
Thanks to all.
BW
Go to Top of Page

Cris DaBica

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2020 :  19:39:33  Show Profile
Apropos of nothing, but my dad has one of Doreen Evans' Brooklands badges:

Edited by - Cris DaBica on 26/10/2020 19:41:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked