Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 DVLA registrations
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2020 :  19:05:02  Show Profile
I have recently been successful in obtaining age-related registration marks for two N-types.

It was not a straightforward task because both the chassis files and the build sheets for these cars are missing.

In the usual DVLA style there was an initial refusal, despite an explanation of the circumstances and some 'creative thinking' to arrive at the date of builds and date of first registrations.

However, an enlightened manager recognised the difficulty of providing the build dates and the genuine attempt to provide a best guestimate and after re-submission, duly authorised the applications.

The cynic in me says that he recognised that the DVLA decision would be overturned by the ICA (Independent Complaints Assessor) but perhaps I am being uncharitable.

I wish there were more like this manager as it would make my life a lot easier.

JOHN JAMES DVLA representative, MG Octagon Car Club

colintf

United Kingdom
1501 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2020 :  19:32:09  Show Profile
That's good news John :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2020 :  20:30:56  Show Profile
John James and Forum:

Can you give further background details, figures and the like.
The whole process sounds like a game of Russian roulette with civil servants; British style.
My request more in the interest of morbid fascination.
I can't be alone in my interest.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  07:57:18  Show Profile
John,

I could write a book about this, but I’m not going to write it here.

The process to obtain reclaimed and age-related registrations is relatively straightforward; it’s in the execution of that process where problems can arise.

I’ve been helping members and non-members for the past 5 years and I’ve experienced several highs and lows.

I have learnt bucket loads since first taking the job on. The following extract from a note I put out to Octagon members a few years’ back sums up my exasperation at the time with DVLA (which hasn’t abated!)

Dealing with DVLA can be frustrating (I’d better not use unparliamentary language!) and we have recently had a spate of applications turned down for no good reason. When these have been challenged, the applications have been mysteriously agreed, but not before the documents have circulated on a ‘merry go-round’, causing unnecessary delay and expense
In an attempt to stop this nonsense, I now ask applicants to sign and date a short note along the following lines:
“I authorise John James of the MG Octagon Car Club to deal with any queries arising from this application.”

In the same note referred to above, I asked members to phone me for an initial ‘consultation’ to establish the way forward. For example, there are (rightly) strict rules on reclaiming registration marks and the possession of the original number plate (as considered suitable evidence of entitlement by some, or even an old MOT certificate), simply will not do. So, having checked this out and moved to an age-related application it’s necessary to establish that the car is actually finished and is not a pile of bits. There’s a bit of leeway with ‘finished’ e.g. the upholstery might not be fully in place.

The next step is for me to send the applicant a partially completed application form (DVLA form V55/5 and V765 for reclaimed applications – just V55/5 for age-related). The reason I do this is because (a) there are very few boxes on the V55/5 to complete for our cars and it saves the applicant wading through the completion of unnecessary boxes, and (b) I like to be in charge of the whole process.

Accompanying these partially completed application forms/form are some guidance note as to exactly what is required as supporting evidence by DVLA.

So far, so good!. However, having thought I’d ‘cracked it’ with DVLA in getting their clerks to channel queries back to me, I found that they were ignoring this!

Matters came to a head recently when a DVLA clerk returned some papers to an applicant on a technicality (which could have been resolved in a phone call or e-mail to me, had they been correctly referred to me) and the papers got lost in the post.

Needless to say ‘the balloon went up’ and I have now been advised to accompany applications with DVLA form V997 ‘Supporting documents delivery form’ for a Dealer/Fleet Company (which apparently, they dare not ignore).

I’m not exactly holding my breath!

Having pointed out some of the ‘lows’ there are several ‘highs’. Amongst these are receiving the grateful thanks of an M-type owner in reclaiming his original registration mark, something he’d been trying for over 30 years to reclaim!; taking the DVLA to the Independent Complaints Assessor (ICA) on two occasions and winning on both; and recently reclaiming a registration mark on a J2 that took little more than a week.

Having started out by saying that I would not write a book here, I've probably written the introduction!

JOHN JAMES
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  08:20:37  Show Profile
Hello, Forum.

I think a round of applause is due to John for all his selfless good work In a great cause.

Thanks John !

Chris
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  08:24:38  Show Profile
John and Forum:

A few highs and lows. Might make interesting reading.
As for a book; well there might be material for a who didn't/did
do it.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  09:09:26  Show Profile
Gentlefolk, please keep in mind that this register is the section of the MG car club. The club has ample and capable facilities to enable any triple-M owner to engage with the DVLA so anybody wishing to do so is encouraged to contact the register in the first instance.

We support owners by ensuring that the club is provided with all relevant information from the registers own records as well as those from the club itself. this enables the club to front any application to the DVLA.

This service is available to club members and non-members alike although there is a differential scale so that the modest fee – and it is modest – is slightly lower for club members!

Thank you.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  09:10:55  Show Profile
Good Morning John,
How things change! John is helping me with DVLA concerning a D-type.
25 years ago (approx....) when I was MMM Registrar (only one in those days) we had local DVLA offices.... I used the office in Exeter and got on well with the officer there and sorted out quite a few Triple Ms. He even came to see me as was interested in my cars ... and sometimes phoned me for information on other peoples applications for registrations. How all that changed when all was centralised to DVLA. Big, impersonal, and costly systems.
I think I am a bit behind the times!
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  14:49:42  Show Profile
"Age related registration marks" - there is no such thing anymore, as far as our cars are concerned.
They have all been used up quite some time ago.
Now you will get a 3 letter 3 number 1950's one.

If you are really picky about having a suitable one for our cars, then you need to save up buy one from a dealer.
Two letter ones that might be used as somebodys initials are much more expensive than ones that contain unusual letters such as X.
Go to Top of Page

ColinH

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2020 :  10:39:52  Show Profile
Hi John, I am the new proud owner of the kit of parts from Barry W to build a F Type Magna. Unfortunately I need to try and recover the original reg no RX9616 or at least that's what's on the number plate that came with the car. Chassis no. is F0452 and current engine no. is 1212AF. The engine no on the guarantee plate is 711AF. Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. Cheers! Colin.
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2020 :  10:53:22  Show Profile
Colin H. and Forum:

Welcome to the F type life.
Looks like a good project.
One of the many people you need to contact is Ian Ross.
His website see link.http://www.fmagna.org.uk/.
Is along with MMM Forum a must.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2020 :  11:04:42  Show Profile
RX9619 is chassis F0637 from Feb 1932.

I would have expected RX9616 to have a closer chsassis number... The chassis file will tell you, I think, copy available for a small fee from the club...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2020 :  11:08:23  Show Profile
Hello Colin H,

I've sent you an e-mail.

Regards, JOHN JAMES
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic