Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 trunnion bushes - front or rear
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dan F

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2008 :  22:23:04  Show Profile
Forgive me because I know I've seen this question before. I've tried the search. I have a set of trunnion bushes and am not sure what ones they are front or rear ?? Any help with dimensions ??
Dan

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2008 :  20:40:55  Show Profile
The front main spring leaf is thinner than the rear so the ones withe the narrower slots are fronts.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2008 :  23:49:05  Show Profile

Maurice, thanks for the response. My spring are repro so the bushes don't fit thus the confusion. Anyone have a dimension ?
Thanks,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

farley1

Canada
152 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  03:13:34  Show Profile
Dan,
This past week I visited with a local PA owner going through this topic more applied to the rear trunnions. We measured ID of 1.005" in the frame. OD of bushings were 1.000". Overall length of each bushing was 1-3/16".
As I have not got to the front he showed he a housing and the bushings earmarked for the rear fell in beautifully. He assumed the lengths to be the same for the front and back housings.
The slots were machined to 1/4" and these were to be fitted with the spring thickness.
Not sure if this answers your question.

Ian Marr
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  15:10:39  Show Profile
Dan I think you will find that you have to file the slots in the trunions to make them fit the springs both front and rear. When I restored my PA i bought a set of trunions for both front and rear I kept the original rear springs but still have to file the trunions to fit, The fronts were new springs, but the trunion boxes were so badly worn that I had to mill out the boxes and make new trunions out of phospherous bronze.
Good luck Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  00:46:27  Show Profile
And don't forget, if you're fitting new springs in particular (though I've seen some rough rust pitted old ones which need treatment!) carefully polishing the top, bottom & sides (lessens lateral wear) of the end of the leaf that goes through the trunnion certainly lengthens the trunnion's life as well as aiding the suspension performance.
Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  15:20:37  Show Profile
Bob I took my springs ( old rears and new fronts) apart and when i put them back together they looked like chrome. Well greased and bound with cord they work a treat.
Rodney. PS I have noticed that high end historics i.e Bugatti's Invicta's and the like all seem to have chromed springs which are open to all weather?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000