Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 lubrication plates
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Libbert

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2008 :  03:38:25  Show Profile
Hello folks,

My first post (of many more to come) to the forum,

Can someone tell me if the finish on the brass plates (lubrication) on the bulkhead supports are silver (nickel plated) or plain brass. What about the other plates such as the Guarantee plate (with car & engine number) foot brake adjusting instruction plate (mounted on the floor) and the plate on the cam/rocker cover?

Many thanks,

John

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2008 :  10:29:40  Show Profile
I believe all the plates except the lubrication ones are plain brass. There seems some debate over the lubrication plates, mine certainly showed signs od plating and others also take the view that thay had a cheap form of plating "flash chroming". The same goes for the handbrake shaft. Can anyone advise over the steering coloumn,,,was it chromed ?
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2008 :  10:50:41  Show Profile
I think that the steering column was nickel plated, they were bought in (or out, depending on which term you use!) and probably came that way.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2008 :  12:27:48  Show Profile
Steering columns on the J were originally chrome plated but not to a particularly good standard. The lubrication plates were flash chromed although the replacement ones supplied by dealers for many years have been plain brass except for a batch which someone made back in the 70's which were dull nickel plated.
Originally I believe the guarantee and other plates were usually plain brass - the majority I have seen have been like this although I have also seen guarantee plates that show signs of having been plated. There may not be a definative answer to the other plates.
The original guarantee and body plate on my J2 show absolutely no signs of ever having been plated but some may report otherwise.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Frank van Dalen

Netherlands
28 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2008 :  12:49:25  Show Profile
The lubrication, quarantee and body plate on my J2 show very vague traces of plating - nickle or flash chrome is hard to say. Very poor quality considering almost nothing is left!

Frank van Dalen
J2 4138
email@frankvandalen.net
Go to Top of Page

John Libbert

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2008 :  01:43:03  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will now be getting the lubrication plates, the footbrake plate ans guarantee plate nickel "flash" plated. The plating is quite evident on the plates on my TC and I will be having them done at the same time.

Best regards,

John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000