Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Hill climb programme wanted
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  10:20:34  Show Profile
Trengwainten August 1953 speed hill climb programme wanted,i am trying to complete the final bit of competition history of my 1946 MG TC.Although the Cornish hill climb coarse has long gone the house and gardens are owned and maintained by the national trust,i have been in touch with them but they were unable to help other than a local chap they thought my be able to help me but as yet nothing.I am hoping someone within our MMM circle my be able to help,i am sure some early MG's took part.Any help or leads would be most appreciated.

Thank you Chris Wallis.

C L Wallis

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  10:21:35  Show Profile
I have a lot of information about hill climb meetings but unfortunately Trengwainton does not feature at all. It might be worth contacting Pete Stowe (see his website). He has a great deal of information about West Country events - especially those held in the immediate pre and post war period and he might be able to assist.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  14:28:51  Show Profile
Another possibility is our M type Registrar Mike Dalby who also very knowledgeable when it comes to trials and hills in the West country.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  17:39:37  Show Profile
Would the Truro and District Motor Club be any help?

I have asked the question for you on their facebook page

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Edited by - colintf on 05/11/2020 18:07:11
Go to Top of Page

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  21:41:11  Show Profile
Thanks George & both colins i will follow up the suggestions put forward,i will track one eventually.About 3 weeks ago a 1955 programme turned up on ebay which i bought which was partly part of the cars history in the sense that engine from the TC was used in a Lotus 6 as well and that programme listed the Lotus as Lotus/MG the owner was Sid Broad and would swop the engine from car to car. I kept in regular contact with Sid until his death in 2018.

C L Wallis
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  22:14:01  Show Profile
Did he also race it at Davidstow ? :)

Colin Murrell
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2020 :  22:25:00  Show Profile
Is this the TC ?

Launceston Then Facebook Group Gallery | Launceston Then!
https://images.app.goo.gl/S8yWXzH6DqpuCszH9

Colin Murrell

Edited by - colintf on 05/11/2020 22:26:53
Go to Top of Page

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  09:19:36  Show Profile
Hi Colin yes to first question he was a regular competitor at Davidstow when racing was held there having a number of first,second &third placings, i have several programme's and Davidstow book by Peter Tuthill. The photo you have shown is second and third place Sid is just off the picture leading in car number 40,i have that photo in my collection and full picture is also in the Davidstow book.
Mike has contacted me and going to enquire with some of his contacts.

C L Wallis
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  10:51:25  Show Profile
thanks Chris, I thought it strange that No 40 was referred to but car 53 was shown, now your explanation makes perfect sense.
I'll have to dig my copy of the book out again.
Davidstow is not far from Home for me :)

Colin Murrell
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  11:40:26  Show Profile
In the Davidstow events the first event on 9th Augusat 1952, S. J. Broad (Launceston) in a TC was first in class 4, sports cars 1000 - 15600cc.
A year later on the 1st August 1953 in event 4 he was third in an MG and in event 7 he is recorded as being seventh, but there are no 5th and 6th places recorded!
Then on 2 August 1954 S. J. Broad was third in a Lotus MG in Event 3, and in event 7, this time recorded in a Lotus only, but I would think the Lotus MG, in the 20 lap event he was second.
Those are the only times he was recorded, but only the first three places are recorded and he may have finished lower down the order in other races.
Hope this is helpful

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2020 :  10:16:13  Show Profile
Hi Mike thanks for the info i have all of the Davidstow details which i have collected over the years some of which Sid passed on to me when he came to MG Silverstone in the late 90's. Sid was an all rounder with the car racing,hillclimbs and trials,i have a picture of Sid on the Exeter trial dated 1st & 2nd January 1954 the day i was born so the car must have had my name on it,it was meant to be.

C L Wallis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000