Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M hood frame height - can anyone help ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  00:59:16  Show Profile
My standard fabric bodied M-type which was registered June 1930 is soon to be fitted with a hood.I know these hoods were not noted for practicality but my hood frame seems too low. Can anyone who has an original frame tell me how high the hood frame is at its highest point relative to the the rim of the body ?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 06/06/2008 20:48:54

trevor

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  21:51:57  Show Profile
Sam are you sure you did grow too much?
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  23:31:24  Show Profile
I suspect it was called a 'Midget' in honour of its most suitable occupants.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 05/06/2008 19:33:13
Go to Top of Page

trevor

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  08:42:53  Show Profile
Sam forgive my typing error, I hope you get it right because I need to copy it when you get it back from Gary. Did you ever get to the bottom of the front apron problem? I bought a supposedly original one at Beaulieu and then copied it for Dave to find that it is two and five eighths short.
Go to Top of Page

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  09:03:16  Show Profile
Sam, when you get it sorted, would there be any chance of drawing the frame up so we can have a reference to put up here on the site (then I can copy it when I finally build KarenÆs 1929 back up)

Dave, I have 4 M chassis, none are exactly the same so I wonder if panels were selected to chassis, but 2 5/8ö is a bit more than selective fitting.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  20:46:20  Show Profile
At present the evidence I have has the hood standing just under 20" at its tallest.My own frame with chassis 2M 1802 is the same height as the frame with chassis 2M 1817.

The hood frame with 2M 1817 (Alec Dale - Myreton Motor Museum) is a simple build it yourself frame but mine which is otherwise similar has a very neat built in hinge arrangement near the bottom on either side which looks well made but does not make much sense.

My own hood looks to be designed to fold back or pack away more easily. Alec's seems the more obvious design. Has anyone else a hood frame like mine?

I really wish I had information to cross check from a few more frames. I appreciate that metal panel body hood frames are likely to differ from the above.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 06/06/2008 20:53:11
Go to Top of Page

Old Grey M

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  10:23:25  Show Profile
Sam
Sounds like yours is the later folding type (which mine is fitted with). If you want dimensions for that I can photograph, measure and send to you (email address?). If you want the earlier type which splits into two halves but doesn't fold down I can't help, however I suspect that the overall height didn't vary. By the way I'm 6'1" and can fit in the M with the hood up, mind you it's ok going forwards but looking to the side by peering underneath my armpit makes for interesting driving. Came back from Germany one year in a thunderstorm nonstop from Felixtow to Shropshire with hood and sidescreens up, wife and full camping gear, enjoyed it so much I chucked the hood to the back of the garage and didn't use it for another 20 years!
Mike
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  17:31:51  Show Profile
Mike,
This would be very useful. I am a similar height and although I would like to get the hood right I understand how keen people are not to use one. With topics like this it would be really convenient to be able to share pictures on the Forum.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  10:45:05  Show Profile
Sam, I know that you are keen to make/keep your car original (as I have been for many years in the past with several MG and other restorations) but you may well have to drive the car with the hood up in the future (albeit reluctantly) and, especially if you are tall (as I am), you will have to fit in it. Therefore I "tailored' the hood frame accordingly. This is only a minor detail and no-one would notice any difference (which is only a couple of inches at most!). The frame was missing from my car, but as a matter of interest the hood frame "pegs" sit in sockets (rounded, not hexagonal as in T-types, etc) in the panels behind the doors and there was never any side-screen for the driver as there were no sockets in the aluminium door capping (all of which are original on my car M2737).
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  20:35:37  Show Profile
You guys with 20 inches of hood frame height are lucky. Mine, on 2M3175, is of the two-piece folding variety and is almost certainly original. However at the highest point it is only 455mm (17.9 inches) above the aluminium. Luckily I am only 5'8"!

John
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  00:39:35  Show Profile
Thanks for the observations.I agree that in the end my hood will need to be tall enough for me to sit under but I would be like to establish and understand the standard designs.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  10:16:40  Show Profile
The spares list for the M type states the number of side screen sockets to be 4 No. On my late metal bodied M the hood was a permanent fixture with the uprights pivotting about an external pin just rear of the door pillar in much the same fashion as the early Morris 8 Tourer. As far as I can tell these were totally original fixings and not a bodge. Regards Rich
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  17:49:00  Show Profile
Richard,
A period factory photograph of a metal bodied car clearly shows mountings for side screens but I have not spotted evidence of side screens in period photos of earlier cars. I think the metal panelled cars were treated as an opportunity to refine the M-type.I can forward the photo by email if you wish.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  12:19:11  Show Profile
Sam, Many thanks for the offer. Sounds like you are progressing well.Regards Richard
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  09:38:34  Show Profile
Sam,

You may not have visited the site below but there are 17 photographs showing a M Type hood frame from all angles.

www.alfabet.se/MG/
Select English
Select Pictures
Select Rebuilding Pictues
Select Cab & Sufflett

You can aslo access the site from Google - MG M Type. It's he fouth of fifth down.

Cheers

Jan
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2008 :  17:40:29  Show Profile
Jan,

I am aware of 4 different hood frame designs so far. One type is the form shown in the Swedish pictures and seems to be the type which appears in an ad in Motor Sport April 1931.This frame has a small bend close to the mounting point.

The hood frame on Chassis 1817 (June 1930) is similar to the 'Swedish' example but simply straight at this point.

My own car 2m 1802 (June 1930) has a frame with a hinge arrangement close the mounting point either side.

I understand that metal panel cars are different again.

The general form of the earlier hood frames seems to be much the same.

Just a little more evidence would be good.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 15/06/2008 22:20:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000