Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New F type owner
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlasdairM

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2020 :  20:01:40  Show Profile
My first post, a quick introduction and hello.

I recently purchased Ewan Harris’s F1 magna (f1225) which I gather is a relatively well known and original car. He bought the car in 1965 and apart from 2 months in 1970, owned the car until he passed earlier this year.

I intend to keep the car very much as is. Nicely oily rag and great fun to drive. I’m not terribly technical but always like to have a go. First jobs are an oil change and to get the Rev counter working. I hope you won’t mind if I ask a few stupid questions along the way!

Alasdair

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2020 :  20:55:13  Show Profile
Hi, welcome and congratulations! Any pictures :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moore

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2020 :  21:40:55  Show Profile
Congratulations on getting Ewan’s F type
If you need any help I’m only in Weston super mare
F0319
F1199

Adrian Moore
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2020 :  22:13:43  Show Profile
Alasdair

Well done it is a lovely car and the engine is the smoothest I have heard.

I went down to see him a couple of years ago to take some photos of the trim and will need more as my F is about to be trimmed. I wonder where you are and whether you would be happy for me to pop by when this covid business is over?

The only worry I might have with the car is the crank and rods. He always used to laugh about it after yet another successful day at Wiscombe, that the crank was well under size after many regrinds and was still with its Aliuminium rods. I have gone over to steel and if Ewan never did then that is possibly something to consider, as to when might be sensible to do so, as they tell me ali rods don't last forever!

Yes, I have always been an admirer of Ewan and delighted in the way he looked after that car. Good luck with it.
Go to Top of Page

AlasdairM

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2020 :  23:32:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by colintf

Hi, welcome and congratulations! Any pictures :)

Colin Murrell
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)

Sorry rather poor efforts...

Go to Top of Page

AlasdairM

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2020 :  23:37:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Moore

Congratulations on getting Ewan’s F type
If you need any help I’m only in Weston super mare
F0319
F1199

Adrian Moore

Much appreciated, thanks
Go to Top of Page

AlasdairM

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2020 :  23:41:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PeterL

Alasdair

Well done it is a lovely car and the engine is the smoothest I have heard.

I went down to see him a couple of years ago to take some photos of the trim and will need more as my F is about to be trimmed. I wonder where you are and whether you would be happy for me to pop by when this covid business is over?

The only worry I might have with the car is the crank and rods. He always used to laugh about it after yet another successful day at Wiscombe, that the crank was well under size after many regrinds and was still with its Aliuminium rods. I have gone over to steel and if Ewan never did then that is possibly something to consider, as to when might be sensible to do so, as they tell me ali rods don't last forever!

Yes, I have always been an admirer of Ewan and delighted in the way he looked after that car. Good luck with it.

You’re more than welcome to have a look. We’re not far from you and the car is in a barn so plenty of fresh air. I have two spare cranks but wouldn’t know what to do with them!
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  05:32:36  Show Profile
Very nice :)

Colin Murrell
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  09:39:48  Show Profile
Alasdair,Colin,and Forum:

Welcome Alasdair M.

Your post and photographs of F1225 is most timely.
I have recently requested details of F Type interiors.
Can we please have more phots.
See link to my threadhttps://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18948.

When time allows have a look at Ian Ross's web site on F Types.
https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18948
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  11:06:38  Show Profile
Alasdair,
Congratulations on becoming the custodian of such a fine original car. I hope you will love and cherish it just as Ewan did. Hope to meet up, perhaps VSCC Wiscombe.
ALAN
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1937 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  11:37:58  Show Profile
A lovely looking car. I think it is more a rumpled handkerchief than an "oily rag."
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  11:49:54  Show Profile
Hi Alasdair

We have already been in touch over your purchase of this lovely, well known and so original F type. John Bakewell has been seeking info on the upholstery for an F type and as such will be very interested.

I have added the two photos to the file for the car.

George
Registrar F/L/N types and PBs.
Go to Top of Page

AlasdairM

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  18:43:16  Show Profile
Thanks for all the positive comments. John, I’ll post more photos on your thread as soon as i manage to get the car outside in the light.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000