Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Triple-M Register Members Group on Facebook
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  10:37:39  Show Profile
To complement the already excisting 'page' on Facebook and our website and forums, your Register Committee has recently decided to also set up a so-called 'group' on Facebook for members to easily share their everyday Triple-M related snippets. The group is for MGCC members only and so, when requesting to join the group, you will be asked to fill in your membership number. Once you’ve done that, a whole new world of Triple-M fun should become available to us all. 'Hope to see you there!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1281098668930607

Happy Christmas!
Cat

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  11:47:16  Show Profile
Cat, I have a New England MG T Register number not a MGCC number, but our club has always been a sub of the MGCC. I had raised this point to receive MGCC club news on the Forum and this was accepted. I hope this works for you as well

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6127 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  12:07:19  Show Profile
Does that include Farcebook stealing everyone's data and selling it on, Cath?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  12:53:01  Show Profile
Simon, they need to be registered to FB to access the page, so if your fears are correct all their sellable information is already 'stolen'.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6127 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  12:55:10  Show Profile
I guess you're right, Ian.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Tim Sharp

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  18:23:58  Show Profile
Can we be assured that those of us who wish to have nothing to do with social media will still find that this Forum will still provide the level of Committee information flow we are used to?

Regards

Tim

Tim Sharp
PB0685-TR6- Nuneaton
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  19:33:14  Show Profile
I do agree Tim. I've seen elsewhere most items going to Simon's Farcebook leaving the previous communication medium a pale shadow of its former self.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  20:30:56  Show Profile
Gentlemen, calm down! Nobody is forcing you to be on Facebook. Nobody will be missing out on anything. But then again, if you suffer so much from fomo syndrom, you may want to sign up after all !

Neither the Register's Facebook 'page', nor this new 'group' are used for 'Committee information flow'. Both are just meant for a bit of light hearted fun. No more, no less.

If you hate Facebook so much, you may want to simply refrain from commenting on this post and thereby (inadvertently) bashing those who do like it as being daft or whatever.

Second bit of my little rant:

Off line I was posed the question why the group is for MGCC members only. Now, I was one of the Committee members who wanted the group to be solely for MGCC members for the simple reason that the Register is part of the MGCC and all its services, perks and info it holds really ought to be for Club members only. All non members who suggest the Club holds nothing for them, should perhaps try a different angle and realise this very forum for one is being funded by the Club! As is the Yearbook, the Bulletin, the reprints, the regalia and what not. Plus, without a Club to promote our marque, and that includes the current Chinese vehicles (whatever you think of them), it will soon die out and be erased from people's memories eventually making it harder for us all to keep our cars on the road. No one will take the trouble of making parts for a dead marque, you see. No one will take the trouble to make sure good quality petrol will somehow always be available in an ever greener political environment. To name but a few thingies.
Anyway, my little scheme failed miserably and I couldn't get the system to work properly. I.e. anyone can now join. The Facebook group that is. Although, I suppose the same goes for the Club

Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  20:31:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by leckstein

Cat, I have a New England MG T Register number not a MGCC number, but our club has always been a sub of the MGCC. I had raised this point to receive MGCC club news on the Forum and this was accepted. I hope this works for you as well

Mike L

Perfectly welcome, Mike!
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  20:55:55  Show Profile
Cat, I suppose one could always quote JFK to determined non members of The Club; "Ask not what....."

Dave
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2020 :  23:15:07  Show Profile
Amen, Dave!

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2020 :  01:12:15  Show Profile
You have to love people complaining to the register becoming more accessible
And I can’t guarantee that I’ll post every picture shared on FB on the Forum as well so FOMO you’d better join

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2020 :  01:42:37  Show Profile
Cat has explained some of the rational behind the decision to start a Triple-M ‘group’ Facebook page.

One of my personal remits on joining the committee was to try to introduce the next generation to our cars. I too have had to blow away my prejudices, and be dragged into the world of FB. We have noticed how popular Rich Hardy’s Vintage MG Part’s site is with over 1000 followers in a relatively short space of time https://www.facebook.com/groups/2480688328819759 as is the Australian. MG Pre-War Register https://www.facebook.com/groups/1096291360515664

The Forum has been hugely successful and it is hoped that it and the FB site will compliment rather than compete with one another. For example our FB site directs those with technical questions to The Forum. It would however allow someone new to Triple-M to post a question. - something not possible on The Forum without registering first. There is currently discussion on how to safeguard the years of contributions and wealth of information held on The Forum and ensure its functionality for years to come .

It’s difficult to be prescriptive as these things often evolve with the use and expectations of the users. Both of the FB sites mentioned above showed us there was a gap that needed to be filled in allowing enthusiasts to post lighthearted pictures of them, their families and friends out and about enjoying their Triple-M cars. The FB site also allows videos to be posted something The Forum does not other than via a link. Another idea that is being explored is a user friendly ‘drop file‘ on the FB page which will encourage someone who finds a picture of a Triple-M car in an old family album to easily post it online.

It’s early days and as always your thoughts are welcome. I note that since Cat’s posting this morning another 40 Triple-M members have signed up.

Tim

Edited by - Tim Luffingham on 20/12/2020 01:44:06
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6127 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2020 :  09:01:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Luffingham

There is currently discussion on how to safeguard the years of contributions and wealth of information held on The Forum and ensure its functionality for years to come .

One way of doing this is surely to put all documents, chassis file information and photographs beyond the reach of search engines by simply putting them all behind the login? At the moment any passing Tom, Dick or Harry can grab anything on the site - this makes no sense. At the moment, the best way of searching the entire Register website for specific information is simply to use Google. This is crazy!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 20/12/2020 09:15:27
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2020 :  20:07:35  Show Profile
It was announced that the Facebook page was launched about a week ago and there are already over 120 members. I support the site and will upload pictures of Triple-M. Some pictures were published many years ago, but they have been forgotten.

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000