Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Unblocking fuel pipes?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

agn178

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  14:27:52  Show Profile
Due in part to a leaking fuel tank, I decided to use the POR Fuel Tank Sealant compound to hopefully make the tank leakproof.
This seem to have done the trick & the inside of the tank looks all clean & silvery.
When using this stuff, once it had been sloshed all around the insides, I did take care to drain off the excess & left it sitting upright but canted over to the nearside to try & ensure the reserve fuel feedpipe - which extends to the bottom of the tank stayed open & not blocked.
However Sod's Law prevailed and while there is some air coming through, it's a hard suck for any petrol!.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can try & unblock this pipe? I might be fortunate in having direct vertical access to both main & reserve pipes at the top of the tank....

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  20:03:36  Show Profile
You don't mention which model it is, but judging from the fact that you seem to say the pipes run to the bottom of the tank and not up from the bottom, I'm assuming J or L or F. My experience with the J2 tank is that the switchover pipes can be removed and a long section of metal tubing or a threaded rod can be inserted and driven to the bottom of the pickup tube. I would also try adding a little thinner to the pipe in hopes of softening the sealant. Be cautios not to poke additional holes in the side of the pickup tube. I had rust eat holes thusly on my J2, but found I could insert another piece of brass tube inside the steel one and effectively stope air from entering the pickup.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

KevinH

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  22:37:19  Show Profile
I needed to thin some petrol tank sealant that I bought from the Complete Automobilist some time ago. If your sealant is the same stuff, the solvent is 2-Butanone. It is also known as MEK or Methyl Ethyl Ketone and is available on ebay quite cheaply. This may allow you to soften the material blocking the pipe before poking around to unblock it.
Go to Top of Page

agn178

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2008 :  13:10:06  Show Profile
Thanks to both of you for your replies:
Yes, it is a J2 & I'll try & get some MEKP to chemically clear it!

Thanks again,
Derek.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000